A lavishly illustrated webcomic, Nineteen, Twenty-One tells the sweet story of two people trying to find themselves as they face some of life's most difficult transitions.
A young woman named Yun-lee reawakens from a coma to find her world completely changed, and struggles to come to terms with the time she has lost. Nevertheless she enrolls in university, and meets a cheerful nineteen-year-old, Dong-whi, who shares her uncertainty about the future. Despite all the hardships that face them, the two decide to fly in the face of mediocrity and apathy to save a dwindling group of friends. Who also happen to be cats. Because, to these two, felines are Serious Business.
Don't be put off by the tag that labels this work as a Romance — there is something in this story for everyone.
A 2-volume physical version was once published in France under the title 18-20note but is now out of print.
This work provides example of:
- Birds of a Feather: Yun-lee and Dong-whi both really like cats.
- Cherry Blossom: Just look at the page image.
Dong-whi: The cherry blossom season must be near it's end. They're really pouring down, aren't they?
- Even lampshaded by Dong-whi in Chapter Two.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Crazy Cat Couple: What a lot of people consider Yun-lee and Dong-hwi in-universe. Actually, they're just some really kind people who feel sympathetic towards the neighborhood strays.
- Death by Newbery Medal: It is about cats, so...
- Dogged Nice Guy: Dong-hwi makes it very clear he's not going to give up on Yun-lee, despite her hesitance.
- Floral Theme Naming: Each chapter is named after a flower.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Yun-lee wants the best for the cats but also wants to befriend the residents to prevent arguments.
- Keet: Dong-hwi definitely has the hyperactivity to be one, although is is a bit older than most in this group. He is also not the kind that his kitty friends would be chasing after.
- Kick the Dog: The cruelty to the local cats from the residents in the area.
- Last-Minute Hookup
- Limited Wardrobe: Played straight with Dong-hwi, who nearly always wears the same outfit, but averted for Yun-lee.
- Luminescent Blush
- Meet Cute: Yun-lee sees Dong-hwi climbing a wall. He believes that she has mistaken him for a burgler but all she comments on is that he looks like a cat. Then they realise the other is feeding the local cats and bond.
- Not What It Looks Like: Subverted. See Meet Cute (above).
- One Head Taller: Dong-whi over Yun-lee.
- Punny Name: Yun-lee and Dong-whi have an established group of furry friends they feed, and they name them... the Nyaveriks!
- Scenery Porn: The whole thing, really. Justified scenery porn because somebody is always cleaning up the area and planting flowers.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Subverted. Dong-whi asks, after he and Yun-lee got mistaken for a couple, what was wrong with it and admits that he likes her.
- Snow Means Love: It's snowing when Yun-lee and Dong-whi finally kiss and admit their feelings for each other.
- Umbrella of Togetherness: Teased with. Eventually Yun-lee gives her umbrella to the cats and runs off with both Dong-whi's coat and his newly bought umbrella.