Titlis Busy Kitchen is a both humorous and highly informative Cooking Show hosted by Titli Nahaan. In every episode, Titli prepares food from around the world from simple to emulate recipes, also with heavy chunks of physical and visual humor.
The series originated on YouTube and found an audience over the years thanks to the simplicity of many of Titli's recipes, the caring "aunty" side of her personality and the aforementioned physical humor. Above all else, Titli's philosophy is that anyone can cook delicious recipes from any country.
Due to the changing nature of ad revenue on YouTube, newer videos are posted less frequently than they were in the past, but are still informative and humorous nonetheless. The show can be viewed here, along with her secondary show The Bread Kitchen here.
This series provides examples of the following tropes:
- Berserk Button: Titli takes personal offence to the improper preparation of schwarma.
- British Stuffiness: Played for Laughs. Titli is British, but openly laughs at the stereotypes associated with the culture.
- Buffy Speak: Titli refers to some of her recipes this way. Case and point: Titlis Spicy Aubergine Bake Thingy.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Defied by most accounts. Her attempts to combine foods (curry pizza, chili lasagna) are almost always met with praise.
- Cool Old Lady: Titli isnt a young woman, but she owns all of the recipes she prepares and isnt above using butcher knives and even chainsaws to prepare food. She also has a taste for very spicy hot sauce.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: While preparing The Godmothers Halal Spaghetti Bolognaise, Titli arranges a carrot and two onions in a rather provocative way, noting it Reminds her of her boyfriend. Later, when preparing a ghost pepper sauce, she arranges a carrot, two nectarines and a handful of garlic in similarly humorous ways.
- Evil Laugh: For a kindly old woman, Titli has a very imposing laugh of evil, as demonstrated when she wields a caramelizing torch on her Crème Catalina.
- Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong: When handling a seemingly dead squid to prepare calamari, the creature springs back to life and assaults Titlis face. At the episodes end, a baby squid bursts up from within Titlis shirt, but the two of them take the event totally in passing.
- Food Porn: Titli makes a lot of dishes that are as good looking as they are tasty, her strawberry shortcake possibly being the best example. She also has a rather Suggestive reaction to chocolate mousse.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Titli has partaken in some unusual methods of breaking up biscuits for her cheesecake crusts, including smashing her head into a bag of them repeatedly to break them into crumbs.
- Islam: Titli herself is a Muslim, but like her British-ness she isnt above poking fun at it.
- Lethal Chef: Titli is usually portrayed as a Supreme Chef, but hilariously (and intentionally) prepares some of the worst beans on toast youve ever seen in your life.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Titlis numerous combination foods, such as curry pizza and chili lasagna.
- No Kill Like Overkill: It is a Running Gag that Titli will crush digested biscuits/graham crackers for cheesecake bases in increasingly absurd ways, ranging from banging her head into the bag, tossing it in the dryer and using a power sander. While parodying the tendencies of TV mega chefs, she cuts through a hard boiled egg with a chainsaw.
- Oireland: Titli puts on a So Bad, It's Good Irish accent when preparing Irish stew.
- The Quiet One: Mr. B./Comrade B./(Title) B. is a stern looking man who says little when Titli prepares food for him.
- Separated by a Common Language: Titlis episode on chocolate chip cookies parodies the differing meanings of words between America and the UK.
- While preparing treacle tart, Titli mentions the dish was requested by a Harold Potter who is fighting the Dark Lord. Titli shrugs this off, figuring hes playing a video game. It is canonically Harrys favorite dessert from the books.
- She describes herself as The Godmother when preparing spaghetti Bolognese, plays music from the films in the intro and suggests the viewer could use A horses head as an alternative to the beef in the recipe if wish to.
- Her episode on calamari is one big homage to Alien, from her subtitle (In the Kitchen, No One Can Hear You Scream), to getting a Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong from the squid she was trying to prepare to spawning a Chest Burster at the end of the video. All of this was Played for Laughs.
- While making gingerbread men, she accidentally brings one to life. She names said gingerbread man Jesse and he in turn refers to her as Heisenberg and asks what theyre going to be Cooking. The answer is a gingerbread house.
- Stock "Yuck!": Titli actively discourages taking this attitude with new foods, and attempted to give a more positive rep to foods like chicken livers.
- The Stoner: In her episode on Psychedelic Rainbow Cake, Titli remarks that shes On a bad trip man and opts to bake a multicolored sponge cake to cure her case of the munchies.
- Take That!:
- After some of her fundamentalist Muslim viewers attempted to call her out for using wine in her preparation of beef bourgeoisie, Titli followed the video up with a recipe of Coq Au Vin which included a scene of her chugging a bottle of wine. Humorously enough, the wine in both videos was non-alcoholic.
- When users said she could become a TV mega-chef, she mentioned there was more to it than having big hair, wearing crap jewelry and too much lipstick. Though considering all of these are consistent with her appearance anyway, it doubles as Self-Deprecation.
- After numerous comments by Italians snidely telling her she was failing to prepare their national cuisine properly, Titli began to openly make fun of their snippy attitudes.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Zig-Zagged. Titli sometimes admits she finds ideas too kinky for her liking (such as preparing Beef Wellington in rubber boots) but mentions shes handled ghost peppers enough times that she no longer has to prove anything to anyone.