The Huntress of the Hollow is a pseudo-RPG from 2016 created with RPG Maker 2003 by Bleet. It follows the adventures of Lenora Calamint, a young girl who lives peacefully in a village on the outskirts of a forest with her mother. She often delivers treats to her stubborn grandma, who lives in a cabin in the woods. The village and her grandma's home are serene and people live modestly despite the woods being dangerous and plagued with wolves.
However, after a charismatic hunter settles near the village and promises to protect it from the beasts, the wolves begin to torment the villagers, attacking their settlement for mysterious reasons. While some praise the hunter for his help in fighting off the wolves, others distrust him and believe there is something questionable going on.
The game is free to download and can be found here.
This videogame provides examples of:
- Advancing Boss of Doom: The wolves that chase you after you leave the village with Ms. Stonecrop. If they reach you, it's game over.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Cayne. Quite literally.I think a human idiom works well with this. Have you ever heard of "a wolf in sheep's clothing"?
- An Axe to Grind: Lenora uses various axes throughout the game to fight against the wolves.
- Battle Theme Music: "Twitterpated" is the regular battle theme.
- Big Bad: Cayne.
- The Big Bad Wolf: Also Cayne, though he wants Lenora to think that Avel is the real big bad wolf.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ending A: Apprentice is this. Lenora lives a successful and prosperous life as a huntress, but she can't help but wonder if she did the right thing when she chose not to believe Avel. And when you play the true ending you find out that she actually should have trusted the wolf.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Lenora's grandma is stated to be "a little cuckoo" at the bonus room.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Lenora grows up really fast when she needs to become the protector of the village.
- Enemy Scan: The Scout special skill.
- Fairytale Motifs: The story is basically a twist on the story of Little Red Riding Hood where the hunted becomes the huntress.
- Golden Ending: Ending S: Huntress.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: You can recover HP by eating in and out of combat.
- Little Bit Beastly: Avel is this in his anthropomorphic form.
- Multiple Endings: There are six.
- Ending A: Apprentice. Choose to trust the Huntsman after sparing Avel. Lenora becomes the Huntsman's apprentice, traveling from village to village and slaying wolves and other beasts.
- Ending B: Lone Protector. Kill the alpha wolf. Lenora becomes the protector of the village, but is soon overwhelmed by the wolf attacks, and the villagers must leave the place and find a safer area.
- Ending C: Abandoned. Choose to stay in the Huntsman's cabin after he leaves to kill the alpha wolf. A pack of wolves attacks Lenora, mauling her to death. The Huntsman returns to find her mangled corpse.
- Ending D: Cayne. Lose the battle against Cayne. He kills Lenora, and then goes on to kill his brother. Both the wolves and the villagers are slaughtered by him, and he is left to do as he pleases.
- Ending E: Game Over. Lose any battle except for Cayne's. Lenora is killed and the village is abandoned, and then swallowed by the forest.
- Ending S: Huntress. Win the battle against Cayne. This is the true ending. Avel calls off his pack and the wolfs stop rampaging through the forest. Seeing this, the villagers forgive him and peace returns to the Hollow. Ms. Stonecrop is inspired to begin hunting anew, and she, Lenora, and Avel become the new protectors of the village and the forest.
- Game Face: After he drops his charismatic facade, Cayne gains truly terrifying eyes, wolf-like features, and a Slasher Smile.
- Nightmare Face: Cayne's face is this after he drops his charismatic facade.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Cayne, when he admits to being behind the wolf attacks after Lenora decides not to trust him.
- The Reveal: When you discover the Huntsman's true nature.
- Single-Palette Town: Literally everything in Pokeweed Village is pink. Things that presumably aren't usually pink actually look pink when you're in that area.
- The hunt was successful!