The game follows Detective Groves, who begins investigating an old house after hearing strange rumours about it. Before the night is through however, strange voices inform present company of impending doom, a fate which only the detective may be able to prevent. Will they be able to catch the murderer in their midst before it's too late?
An updated version is said to be in development, and will introduce new characters. The game can be found here, on GameJolt.
House of Shadows contains examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: Character designs range from steampunk to 1920's/30's, to vaguely modern. The house itself is also ambiguous in this regard.
- Affectionate Parody: In some ways, to Cluedo. The characters are also this to common archetypes in older fictional works.
- Anyone Can Die
- Better Manhandle the Murder Weapon: Justified. The detective picks up the weapon because there is still a killer on the loose, who could well come back for it.
- Black Widow: Mrs Shaddows can be one, depending on the ending.
- The Butler Did It: one of the possible endings.
- Colour-Coded Characters: Naturally, for a game inspired by Cluedo.
- Deadpan Snarker: Chiffon has her moments.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Chiffon as the game progresses.
- Demonic Possession: In Cherry's end
- Everyone Is a Suspect
- Interclass Romance: Cherry and Gray
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Averted. Though the detective investigates and makes arrests, they are unable to analyse any of the clues.
- Multiple Endings: A bad ending, and an ending each for all possible suspects. And a secret golden ending, available only under specific circumstances.
- No Name Given: Weiss is only ever referred to as Weiss, which is probably his surname, but may not be. Subverted by Mrs Shaddows who is named thusly when speaking, but whose first name is freely given throughout the game, and in conversation with other characters. Its Elizabeth, or Bess.
- Supreme Chef: Chiffon, to the point she admits this is probably the only reason she is tolerated by the group.
- Together in Death: Cherry and Gray, should they both be killed.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Weiss to Mrs Shaddows
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aofie. Algy and the detective also have green hair.