Survivor: Fire, also known as simply Survivor, is an online game based around fire safety.
It has kind of a retro design, with pixelated imagery and an eight-bit sounding tune. It is played using the arrow keys to move, "C" to crawl, "X" to talk, "Z" to pick things up, and the number keys 1 to 4 to use objects.
You play as the older son in a family called the MacDougals. Your job is to save the boy, his parents, grandmother, and sister from a fire that Gran accidentally caused by baking brownies at two in the morning. However, you only have three minutes, the sister has asthma, and the front door is locked! You also have to watch out for smoke (which drains health) and water and the skateboard (which can make you trip and get knocked out).
Survivor: Fire provides examples of
- Action Mom: The mother is the one who calls the fire department at the end, saving everyone.
- Character Death: A character can die if you lose.
- Character Tics: The girl walks with a slight skip.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: The grandma makes brownies at two o'clock in the morning, and doesn't move when the fire starts, meaning her grandson has to bail her out.
- Color Motif: The boy is in yellow, so that it's easier to tell which character is "you".
- Cool Old Lady: Zigzagged for the gran. She has famous brownies, but burns them and accidentally starts a fire. However, she does link to a fire safety website at the end.
- Damsel in Distress: The family is in danger, and three of them are female.
- Death of a Child: One way to lose is for you or the sister to die.
- Dissonant Serenity: The girl skips, even though her house is on fire.
- Distressed Dude: Two of the MacDougals whose house is on fire are male.
- The Ditz: Zigzagged for Gran. She doesn't try to come out of the burning kitchen, but then she links to a fire safety website.
- Downer Ending: If you lose, someone dies.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Winning results in everyone surviving the fire.
- Fainting: Smoke and the sister's asthma can make them pass out.
- Flying Saucer: For some unknown reason, stereotypical alien spaceships are seen in the background.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Downplayed. At the end, it says, "How would you escape in a real fire?".
- Idiot Ball: The gran doesn't move when she accidentally starts a fire.
- Kill It with Fire: One way of losing is for somebody to die in the fire.
- No Name Given: Nobody in this game is named.
- Overworked Sleep: Implied when the father is seen sleeping at his desk.
- Parents in Distress: The boy has to save his parents (in addition to his grandmother and sister).
- Scatterbrained Senior: Implied for Gran, who wakes up at two in the morning and bakes brownies, then stays in the burning kitchen until her grandson enters.
- Senior Sleep Cycle: Inverted. Instead of falling asleep in the day, Gran wakes up at night.
- Smart Ball: The Gran, who was quite dopey for most of the game, links to a fire safety website at the end.
- Supreme Chef: Even though she burns them this time, Gran is apparently renowned for her brownies.
- Too Dumb to Live: The Gran doesn't move, so you have to save her, or else she dies.
- Unnamed Parent: The parents aren't named, and neither is Gran, but then again, neither are the kids.
- Vague Age: All we know about the ages of the family is that Gran is elderly, the boy is younger than eighteen but probably older than four, and the girl is younger than the boy (probably, seeing as she's a lot shorter than him) but not a baby.