Raid 2020 is an unlicensed Nintendo Entertainment System game by Color Dreams released in 1989. In it, you play as Shadow, an undercover narcotics officer. He has stop a drug lord and leader of the evil empire that took over America, Kingpin.
The game is a side-scroller with five levels. Each stage has an objective given to you before it begins, failing to satisfy it sends you back to the beginning of the stage. Shadow can use three different guns to dispatch the bad guys, though some levels stray from the usual gameplay. For instance, mission 2 has you use a boat.
This game provides examples of:
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The game was made in 1989 and takes place in 2020.
- Artificial Limbs: Shadow lost his right arm some time before the game which has been replaced by a robotic arm with an integrated mini-computer.
- Badass Longcoat: Shadow, the player character, always wears a (dark grey in the game, brown on the boxart) trenchcoat.
- Big Bad: Pitbull, a kingpin who leads the drug operation the game revolves around and is defeated at the end.
- Drugs Are Bad: The whole point of the game is stopping a drug plague, as evidenced by the intro, having to stop a bunch of drug dealers at the pier, and the tagline "Winners Fight Drugs". This was made in the eighties, after all.
- Guide Dang It!: The Pier has a well-hidden enemy that you're supposed to eliminate. The problem is trying to get him to spawn in the first place, and no in-game explanation is given on how to spawn him.
- Jet Pack: Shadow gets a jetpack after going into a building in Stage 1 which allows him to fly over the level as long as he wants to.
- Life Meter: Shadow has a lifebar made up of hearts shown on the right side of the screen, each heart being 2 HP. He starts with 20 HP and can have up to 255 HP, but only 10 hearts can be displayed at once.
- Mission Control: The HQ, labelled by the game as "Control", sends you objectives before each level.
- The Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Stage 5, the computer station. Control warns you that belongs to the main villain, plus it's mainly grey, black, and dark blue with a red and black cavern later on.
- A Winner Is You: You only get one screen of text upon beating the game. At least it's more than just "Congratulations."