On a moonlit night
Every thousand days
The restless dead
Rise up to play.
They did not expect
On this night though
A fierce opponent
Of sauce, cheese, and dough.
Pizza Vs. Skeletons is an Platform Game by Riverman Media.
In the game, you play as a giant pizza, and your mission is to destroy all the skeletons and other various enemies by either rolling over them, or jumping/slamming down on them from above. There are a variety of missions, ranging from "defeat X number of enemies" to "reach the end of the level" to "bring three puppies back". And of course, there are also bosses to battle by pushing them off of the stage.
The game was released on Android and iOS on February 16th, 2012.
Pizza Vs. Skeletons contains examples of:
- Airborne Mook: Introduced in World 1-6 are winged skeletons that try to dive bomb the pizza.
- Anthropomorphic Food: As stated in the title, the protagonist is an anthropomorphic pizza.
- Boss-Only Level: The final level of each world is a Boss Battle. They all involve shoving against a giant skull off the boss arena before it's able to do the same to you.
- Character Customization: You can buy things to alter the pizza's appearance, from bodies, to face pieces, to clothes, and even to toppings.
- Crate Expectations: The "save the puppies" levels tend to have a large number of crates in them. Luckily they can be crushed.
- Dem Bones: Naturally, the game is full of enemy skeletons and skulls to destroy.
- Double Jump: You can perform a double jump by jumping after you land on an enemy.
- Dressed to Plunder: You can buy a pirate hat and eyepatch for the skeleton to wear. Also, one of the bosses is a giant skull wearing a pirate bandanna and earring.
- Floating Platforms: Mainly in the skiing, balancing, and bouncing levels.
- Ground Pound: You can perform this by tapping the screen while the pizza is in mid-air.
- Level Goal: The skiing levels have a giant skull snowman the pizza has to run over, and the balancing levels have a giant gong that destroys the skull to complete the level.
- Mecha-Mooks: One of the enemies encountered later in the game include wind-up fire-breathing robots.
- Mouth Stitched Shut: One of the Character Customization options you can put on the pizza.
- Precious Puppy: Some levels have the pizza freeing puppies from cages, gathering them up, and bringing them back to the doghouse at the start of the level.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: Some of the customization options include female lips.
- Side View: How the game's viewed.
- Spikes of Doom:
- The "rescue the puppies" levels have patches of large spikes in them that the skeleton needs to jump over, or else it'll take damage from them.
- The "balance" levels require the pizza to stay on top of a large skull rolling over a floor covered in spikes to the end.
- Springs, Springs Everywhere:
- The "bounce/crush the skulls" levels are set on a line of marshmallow-looking blocks that bounce the pizza and skeletons upward (moreso for the pizza if it Ground Pounds) them.
- The "skiing" levels also sometimes have the pizza bounce off a large orange platform.
- The "bouncing on brains" levels have large brains that the pizza can bounce on.
- Versus Title: Naturally, with a title like "Pizza Vs. Skeletons".
On the hundredth night
our foes lay shattered
crushed to bits
their bones they scattered.
And so our hero
with quest complete
has proved pizza more
than something to eat.