Firmament is an upcoming video game from Cyan Worlds, Inc. It is a Spiritual Successor to Cyan's previous games Myst, Riven and Obduction. First announced in March 2018, it was funded via a successful Kickstarter campaign in April 2019. It will be Cyan's first game to be designed specifically for the VR format (although PC, Mac and PS4 versions will be available as well).
The game's story is being kept secret, although some facts are known thanks to a demo Cyan released. Like the company's other titles, the game features multiple worlds and is told from a first-person perspective. However, one notable difference is that the player character is accompanied by a mechanical companion known as the Adjunct that helps them to solve puzzles.
This game contains examples of:
- Cyber Cyclops: The Adjunct drone shown in the demo has a single eye that emits blue light.
- Human Popsicle: The demo begins with the protagonist encased in ice before being released by machinery.
- Gratuitous Latin: The teaser trailer ends with the woman saying "Vitae dilationem afferre requirit firmamentum. Firmamentum." What exactly this pertains to in the game's universe is currently unknown.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: The demo opens with a frozen corpse sitting at a table. The corpse belongs to a mysterious woman who speaks to you from beyond the grave. She says she could have mentored you but cannot now that she is dead. In her hands she holds the Adjunct, which responds to you as soon as you touch it.
- Mythology Gag: The demo ends in a room with a ceiling that looks identical to the one in the Myst Library.