Due to its nature as a sequel, spoilers for The Precursor Legacy are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
After traveling through an ancient Precursor doorway, Jak and his friends find themselves in a bleak, unfamiliar city. There, he is captured and held hostage by the Krimzon Guard, led by the atrocious Baron Praxis. But wait... this isn't his story. This is about his sidekick, Daxter.
Two years after witnessing Jak's capture and narrowly escaping, the little orange ottsel takes a position at a local bug extermination firm in hopes of getting closer to reuniting with his pal. Of course, his fumigation tenure at Kridder Ridder comes with a few hurdles...
Tropes Used In Daxter:
- A Day in the Limelight: The game focuses on Daxter's attempts to rescue Jak in Haven City.
- Big Bad: Kaeden.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Toward the end of the game, Daxter and Tik run into an averted example involving Erol and Count Veger, who are in the middle of a discussion on why a team-up between them isnt possible, citing Erols experiments with Dark Eco, something Veger cannot tolerate. Consequently, this leads to them working independently from each other during the events of Jak 3.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: While not all Metal Bugs are physically large, some (Particularly, the Altum sonatur and Stripe Mine hive queens, as well as Metal Kaeden) absolutely dwarf human beings, let alone Daxter.
- Big Red Button: Kaeden presses a switch with one of these to cause the Kridder Ridder building to explode after finding a bug in there (Daxters friend Tik, if youre wondering) and killing him.
- Bugs Herald Evil: While the insect-like Metal Bugs do serve as a direct threat during the events of this game, their presence definitely serves as a harbinger to the other Metal Heads getting involved should Kaedens plan fail.
- Canis Latinicus: The first full-fledged boss, the Altum sonatur hive queen, derives her name from the phrase Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur (Basically meaning Whatever anyone says in Latin sounds profound).
- Dream Sequence: They are used as mini-games so Daxter can get upgrades.
- Family Business: Kridder Ridder, the last remaining bug-exterminating company in Haven City, is run by Osmo with help from his son Ximon, and founded by the formers grandfather, the late Ozmar Itchy Drawers III.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Kor, who is Kaeden's leader.
- Interquel: The game takes place during the two year gap between The Precursor Legacy and Jak II.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The game already spoils the big reveal of Kor being a Metal Head from Jak II if you play this game after The Precursor Legacy but before Jak II.
- Old Save Bonus: If the game was connected to a PlayStation 2 with Jak X on the system, you get to unlock bonuses for both games with additional if Daxter has 100% completion.
- One Steve Limit: Osmos son (And later Daxters good friend) is named Ximon. Near the end of the plot, he and Daxter inadvertently learn from Erol that there is a Krimzon Guard captain, also named Ximon (Rupertikjakmos), who is off-duty during the games events, thereby averting this trope.
- Shout-Out: The dreams are homages to iconic films from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Braveheart, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Unpronounceable Alias: While it isnt a characters alter ego by any means, an attempt by Daxter and Ximon to gain entry into Haven Palace makes a brush with this trope. Specifically, Daxter informs Erol that someone named Ximon Rupertikjakmos made a call to clean out a Metal Bug infestation. Although Erol almost denies Daxter entry into the edifice, his reason for doing so is unexpected.Erol: Nice try, that call didn't happen. Captain Rupertikjakmos is on leave this month, he couldn't have been the one.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Said by Daxter after he woke up from his Indiana Jones-themed dream.
- Wicked Wasps: The Strip Mine Hive Queen, the second true boss, is a dreadfully giant Metal Bug resembling a hornet that terrorizes the Strip Mine until Daxter shows up to defeat her.
- Another example would be the rapidly-attacking Flanker mooks.
- Your Reward Is Clothes: Two of the gold-tier mini game rewards (The Indiana Jones and second Lord of the Rings themed dreams, specifically) equip Daxter with a hat and pants, respectively.