CONFINIUM is a fanmade sequel to Mortis Ghost's surreal indie RPG OFF. It consists of two "Acts", the first of which has been released and the second of which is currently in development. Many gameplay and story elements from the original game appear, although this being an origin story, all with a very different spin.
The game puts you in control of an unnamed, cheerful Pilot in the military of zone Jupiter, who along with his level-headed Navigator is dispatched to investigate a strange spectral outbreak. Things get rapidly out of hand, and it becomes clear that beneath the world's serene surface, something rotten is brewing.
The game has a development blog here, from which Act 1 can be downloaded. OFF should probably be played first.
(Tropes appearing in CONFINIUM)
- Animal Motif: Zacharie wears an owl mask, possibly intended to represent his wisdom as zone Pluto's top scientist.
- Sucre retains her swan motif from the original game.
- Call-Back: The first spectre fought is described as crying out for help, and bears a strong resemblance to the harmless Burnt (whose only attack was, notably, to scream for help) the Batter slaughters on the tramline in OFF's Zone 3.
- Frog Prince has a spinoff of Panic in Ballville, the comic Hugo's father gave him.
- Pilot comments on how appropriate the white shirt and black tie he tries on feel. Although the reverse is standard in CONFINIUM, all Elsen in off wear a similar outfit to this.
- Cliffhanger: Act 1's ending. Pilot, Navigator, and Frog Prince crashland in Zone 1, and for all the audience knows, all three could be dead.
- Final Boss: Trinity.
- Healing Checkpoint: As in OFF, yellow save blocks also fully restore your HP and CP.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: The player enters their own name at the start of the game, although in Act 1 the only thing it affects is a chance line from Zacharie.
- The Frog Prince's real name is defined by the player.
- Ill Boy: The Frog Prince is afflicted by a strange disease that has turned his arm and leg warty and froglike, and one of his dialogue sounds is him coughing.
- Improbable Weapon User: The Frog Prince wields hockey sticks in battle.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: As with OFF, the vast majority of Elsen are identical, although those actually relevant to the plot have some distinguishing traits.
- Hint System: Consists entirely of the item seller Omni. At one point, he just straight up 'tells' you how to solve something.
- Large and in Charge: The Guardians of both Saturn and Jupiter tower over their Elsen.
- Lemony Narrator: The spectre descriptions given by Pilot's Wide Angle competence are mostly weird.
- Mood Whiplash: Act 1 ends with a grim cliffhanger, possibly the deaths of all three main characters. The ending theme is the upbeat, relaxed We'll Meet Again by Vera Lynn.
- Multiple-Choice Past: Frog Prince's backstory and even the nature of his existence is decided by the answers the player gives during Sucre's dance.
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: Sucre appears briefly wearing a nurse's uniform, and it's about as good at covering her up as her original outfit.
- Not So Above It All: Businesslike straight man Navigator is wholeheartedly into the Frog Prince's game of dressup.
- No Name Given: Both the Pilot and Navigator are referred to solely by their job titles.
- Player Punch: While pursuing Alpha through zone Saturn, the Pilot and the Navigator come across an Elsen on the brink of burning, whose friend begs them to get him medicine. Even if you do so, he goes Burnt and almost kills his devoted friend, and the protagonists have to destroy him. The other elsen almost Burns too out of horror and grief, and is left completely broken down. It's your first real indication that this world is just as twisted as OFF's.
- Tarot Motifs: Each party member is associated with a Major Arcana card.
- Pilot: The Fool.
- Navigator: The Hanged Man.
- Frog Prince: The World.
- Rotthe: The Hermit.
- The Blank: Naamah has no face. Instead, several crystal spikes seem to be rammed through her head from the back, sticking out where a face would normally be.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Despite Pilot and Navigator supposedly belonging to an entire military, they end up doing pretty much everything alone. This is somewhat justified because by the time it's clear how serious the situation is, most of their base has already been horribly injured or Burnt by a surprise attack, and the Guardians are physically unable to fight the Add-ons.
- Toppled Statue: Early in the game, a statue of the King and OFF's Queen standing side by side is found in zone Jupiter. The Queen's head and shoulders have been smashed, and the Elsens in the area have no idea who her statue represents.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: It's a little hard to tell that Omni is a guy from his sprites.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Omni takes a jab at the Pilot for conserving his stock of Caramel for battle instead of using it to save the aforementioned tragic Burnt.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: At the Theater, Pilot briefly ends up in a maid outfit, as Frog Prince is so disappointed that he just chose a plain white shirt and tie that he picks out a different costume for him.