It's about the titular apprentice, Okiku, collecting 6 ingredients so her master, sorceress Ogiwara Ryoko, can try out two summoning spells to figure out which one works.
This game provides examples of:
- Evolving Attack: Okiku has six skills, that evolve into more powerful forms with enough uses.
- Flavor Text: In the equipment that Okiku wears:
- Pointed Hat: There's an unspoken rule about wizards wearing these.
- Life Meter: As shown in the battle screens and menus, depicted by an orange/yellow bar.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Or at least the hat, as indicated by the Pointed Hat's Flavor Text: "There's an unspoken rule about wizards wearing these."
- Teleportation: The Teleport Orb as indicated in the name. It "wisks you off to a place you already visited", as the item description says.