- Actor Allusion:
- Not the first time that Mena Suvari got laughed at by her boyfriend's Jerk Jock friends.
- Also not the only time that Jason London would fall for a girl with dark powers.
- Charlotte Ayanna (Tracy) plays a popular girl who is a part of a Deadly Prank, something she also did in Jawbreaker, although in that film she was on the receiving end of it.
- Approval of God: Brian DePalma gave his blessing for Amy Irving to appear, reprising her role as Sue.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget? $21 million. Box Office? $17 million.
- Dawson Casting: 23-year-old Emily Bergl, 26-year-old Jason London, and 22-year-old Rachel Blanchard all playing teenagers. Mena Suvari, however, was 19 when the film was shot, not far from her character's age. Zachary Ty Bryan and Eddie Kay Thomas were teenagers as well.
- Fake American: Rachel Blanchard (Canadian) as Monica. Emily Bergl and Charlotta Ayanna are borderline, as they were born in England and Puerto Rico respectively, but moved to the US as children.
- Missing Trailer Scene: In the trailer Arnie can be heard saying "we're missing another killer party", but in the film he says "we're missing one killer party."
- Playing Against Type:
- Retroactive Recognition: Just six months after the film came out, Mena Suvari, who had a five-minute role here as Rachel's suicidal best friend, would go on to much bigger and better things.
- Ripped from the Headlines: The jocks in this film are based off of the Spur Posse, a real-life clique of high school jocks in Lakewood, California who, in 1993, gained notoriety on the "trash TV" circuit when it was discovered that they kept points to compare their sexual conquests. The film actually toned down their antics; one member of the Spur Posse demanded sex from a ten year old, who only consented out of fear of being beaten up if she said no.
- Serendipity Writes the Plot: Notice that you never see Rachel from behind after she shatters the glass doors with her powers. This is because Emily Bergl received multiple cuts on her back and legs from the glass.
- Those Two Actors: Mena Suvari and Eddie Kaye Thomas also star in the American Pie series.
- Troubled Production: To begin with, the film was supposed to start production in 1996 as an original project titled The Curse. However, production got stalled for two years, during which time it was rewritten into a sequel to Carrie. A few weeks into production, director Robert Mandel quit, citing Creative Differences, leaving Katt Shea to take over the production with less than a week to prepare. This also forced two weeks of reshoots.
- What Could Have Been:
- The film began as an original story, before producers realised how similar it was to Carrie and so they made it a sequel.
- Sissy Spacek was approached to do a cameo. She declined but gave permission for footage of her from the original film to be used.
- Monica's Beta Bitch Deborah who gets killed when CDs fly into her for some reason was called Amy in the script.
Trivia / The Rage: Carrie 2