- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time John C. Reilly has been on a NASCAR team.
- California Doubling: Some scenes that are supposed to represent Texas Motor Speedway were actually shot at Charlotte Motor Speedway, which shares an identical cookie-cutter track design with Texas, and the walls being repainted to look like such.
- Defictionalization/Hilarious in Hindsight: Kurt Busch raced Ricky's "ME" car in the 2012 Aaron's 499 at Talladega Superspeedway, which is on display at Charlotte Motor speedway. Busch's Axe-Crazy tendencies and his release from Team Penske (then Penske Racing) powerhouse at the end of the 2011 season, and subsequent efforts to rebuild his reputation through a year with Phoenix Racing and then a season in the Denver-based Furniture Row Racing before being signed on to Stewart Haas Racing in 2014, is almost like Ricky Bobby's departure from the Dennitt Racing powerhouse.
- Dueling Movies (or a really funny double feature): With Pixar's Cars, which also features a cocky race car "driver" who's brought down a few notches by a long-lost master in pursuit of a green-colored rival (the only difference being that Girard is probably a lot better behaved than Chick Hicks).
- Fake Nationality: Sacha Baron Cohen, who plays the French Jean Gerard, is actually British.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Based on the league patches on the drivers' uniforms, and the Gen-5 cars, it is implied that the first part of the movie takes place in 2003 and the latter in 2004. This comes from the drivers wearing Winston Cup emblems, which was last used in 2003 before Nextel took over the Cup sponsorship in 2004. NASCAR has made a lot of changes since then that are noticeable.
- Carley makes an offhand reference to Ricky looking like a Circuit City in his hospital bed. The last store location closed down in 2009, and the brand became completely defunct in 2012. As the years go on, the reference will probably be less and less understood.
- What Could Have Been: Will Ferrell offered Steve Carell a part, but he was unavailable.
Trivia / Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby