L.O.L. Surprise! is a doll line by MGA that is based on the unboxing trend on online video sites that debuted in December of 2016. Each doll comes with 7 or more layers of surprises hidden inside each product, with the doll itself having an additional water surprise. All of the characters except for the pets are depicted as babies and toddlers. Each doll is grouped into a certain club (four of these are the Glee Club, Athletic Club, Storybook Club and Glitteratti, the latter of which is reserved for rare, glitter-covered dolls). As of February 2016, there are 5 different series of the dolls, with at least 2 different series being released every year. Beginning with Series 3, the series were named after a special gimmick (Confetti Pop for the ball being themed after a confetti ball for Series 3, Eye Spy for the secret messages hidden within the Season 4 products, and Makeover Series for Season 5's dolls, which have real hair). The brand has quickly become of the top-selling toys in the United States.
The L.O.L. Surprise! toys contain the following tropes:
- Babies Make Everything Better: Most of the characters are babies.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Played straight with the girls, but it's averted for the boy characters.
- Excited Show Title!: L.O.L. Surprise!
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Some dolls spoof celebrities. For example, Oops Baby is a spoof of Britney Spears and Queen Bee takes her name from Beyoncé.
- Spin-Offspring: Inverted with the OMG fashion doll series, which focuses on the characters' older sisters.
- Three-Month-Old Newborn: Many of the "Little Sisters", who are supposedly baby versions of the main toddler/baby cast, have an identical hairstyle to their older siblings.