Ant Wedding is a comedy musical from Rat Labyrinth Supreme Supreme.The show premiered on June 15, 2019 at the Middleton Performing Arts Center, and was released on YouTube .
In the far future, the planet has been destroyed by nuclear war. Radioactive ants and humans have fought for centuries. The ants have survived by marrying into other species, but now the only life on earth that remains are ants and humans. The two species must learn to overcome their differences and learn to love each other, but mistrust and conspiracy lurks in the shadows. Will love prevail, or will life as we know it be eradicated?
The show stars Ben Fagre as Tom Stonepiledriver and Z Salyapongse as Princess Acid. The script was written by Gavin Schlieckau and the music by Ben Fagre and Jude Fleischman.
Ant Wedding contains the following tropes:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Thurm is madly in love with Princess Acid. The feeling isn't mutual.
- Brick Joke:Commander Salamander: Thurm, your goal is to unravel this ball of twine. Humanity depends on it.Thurm: Aye, aye, sir!Later, near the beginning of the 2nd Act...Thurm: Look, Acid! I've almost untangled the twine!
- Butt-Monkey: Thurm. He is constantly belittled by both the humans and the ants, and when he gets torn to shreds by the Battle Spider, no one really cares.
- Cloudcuckoolander: For how serious Tom acts throughout the show, he has some silly moments.Princess Acid: I know what it's like to not live up to expectations.Ghost of Queen Boils: PATHETIC! WEAK! TOOL! THE EMPIRE'S GOING TO FAILLLL!(beat)Tom: You just have to, like, do your own thing, I guess.
- Cluster F-Bomb: While the rest of the cast aren't exactly saints, The Wizard has quite a foul mouth.
- Credits Gag: "Alter Boy" is credited as Jason Gastrow. Neither appear in the show.
- The Comically Serious: The Ant Guards.
- Comical Overreacting: The Wizard's spell consists of throwing coins onto the stage. That's it.Tom: HE'S CASTING SPELLS!
- Deadpan Snarker: Most of the characters, but Tom stands out.
- Department of Redundancy Department:Commander Salamander: Come to the briefing room for a mandatory briefing!Thurm: There's an immediate briefing going on in the conference room!
- Disproportionate Retribution: Commander Salamander shoots Thurm in the head when he's revived for the crime of being annoying and weird.
- Eagleland: Democracy is an embodiment of Type 1, while Commander Salamander and his Marines have shades of Type 2.
- The Eleven O'Clock Number: Mant Rising. Doubles as a "I Am Becoming" Song.
- Evil Is Hammy: Both Commander Salamander and the Wizard engage in a good amount of ham.Commander Salamander: Guards? Take him to JAIL!The Wizard: IT'S ME, THE WIZARD! I FUCKED YOUR MOTHER!
- Fantastic Racism: The humans hate ants and the ants hate humans.
- Funny Background Event: While Tom explains the origin of his name to Princess Acid, the Ant Guards and Thurm play with Transformers. The Ant Guards end up breaking one of them.
- Karma Houdini: Commander Salamander sends Tom to be killed and kills all of the ants, but gets forgiven after his change of heart.
- Lame Comeback: After Commander Salamander and the Marines kill all of the ants, the only thing Tom can do...is call him Sa-LAME-ander.
- Non-Indicative Name: Despite proclaiming to be the Stalagmite Spies, the Spies only disguise as stalagmites in one scene. Every scene after that sees them dressed as mimes.
- Oh, Crap!Tom: What's all this talk about "not being around much longer" and "too late" and... Shit.
- Of Corpse He's Alive: At the wedding, Thurm is propped up as a scarecrow and one of the Marines moves his mouth to say the vows. Subverted, in that everyone knows he's dead.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Played for Laughs. The Stalagmite Spies have French accents at first, but they slip into Italian, German, and other European accents.
- Queer People Are Funny: The Marines make fun of Tom being near Thurm, calling him his boyfriend. Later, Commander Salamander and one of the Marines are shown to have something going on as well.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Marines. They're the only unnamed human characters. While it's implied there are more Marines that don't appear, only three Marines are involved with the plot. They carry out Commander Salamander plan by hosting the wedding and kill all of the ants.
- The Wizard is heavily implied to be The Angry Video Game Nerd. He even recreates the rant from Football!
- When the Battle Spider is defeated, the Wizard challenges the humans to formal debate. It's a game of Guitar Hero.
- Tom Stonepiledriver is a descendant of The Undertaker, if his name didn't give it away. He defeats the Battle Spider with the Tombstone Piledriver.
- The Song Before the Storm: The Wedding Planner Song expresses the plans of the Marines, Commander Salamander, Tom and the Stalagmite Spies, Princess Acid, and scarecrow Thurm.
- Spontaneous Choreography: Mostly averted until Ant Wedding Never Dies.
- Villain Song: Ode To The Lost World.