Chess 2: The Sequel is a chess variant chess variant created by David Sirlin, creator of the Fantasy Strike collection of games. In an effort to remove the rote memorization and prolonged endgame, Chess 2 adds the following new rules:
- A New Victory Condition: Midline Invasion. Players win immediately once they legally move their king past the center of the board. Additionally, forcing your opponent into what would be a stalemate position in regular chess also counts as a loss for them and a victory for you.
- Bidding: When pieces are captured, the defender can challenge the attacker to a hidden-knowledge bid that may result in the attacking piece being destroyed as well.
- Multiple Factions: Each side can play with one of six different armies, including the Classic Chess army as well as five other variations.
Has a video game version of Ouya and Steam.
Chess 2 provides examples of:
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: The Animal Army is comprised mostly of animals, all of which are intelligent enough to move as strategically as any human army.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The Two Kings Army has two kings instead of one, and both of them are capable of powerful abilities such as extra turns and enacting a whirlwind attack, making them exceedingly powerful members of their army. As in Chess 1, most armies have powerful queens.
- Friendly Fireproof: Averted for warrior kings, whose Whirlwind attack destroys both allied and hostile pieces, and wild horses, who can capture allied pieces. Played straight for everyone else: they can't capture friendly pieces even if they want to.
- Instant-Win Condition: There are three ways to win instantly: checkmate, stalemate and Midline Invasion.
- Jungle Princess: Jungle Queen, actually, the Queen of the Animal Army.
- The ghost rooks in the Reaper army can never be captured. However, they can't capture either.
- Kings have diplomatic immunity, and cannot be lost in duels.
- Only I Can Kill Him: The nemesis of the Nemesis army can only be captured by the opponent's king.
- Power Copying: The theme of the Empowered army is that if a knight, rook or bishop is next to a friendly knight, rook or bishop, both pieces temporarily gain the movement of its neighbour in addition to their regular movement. For instance, if a rook is next to a friendly bishop, both pieces can move as a Chess 1 queen.
- Taking You with Me: The dueling mechanic allows captured pieces to take down their attacker if the defender wins a duel.
- Spin Attack: The warrior kings of the Two Kings Army can do this, destroying all pieces around them, enemy or otherwise.
- Teleportation: The Reaper army features two pieces capable of teleport: the reaper (can capture, can't teleport to the opponent's back row) and the ghost rook (can teleport to any vacant square, but can neither capture nor be captured and only serves to block the opponent's pieces).