Tropes found in Supergirl
- X-Ray Vision: One of the powers of Kara.
- In her first appearance she practices her X-Ray vision, focusing the X-rays enough to generate heat and fix her bedroom's cracked mirror, and later watching through the walls of the Midvale's orphanage.
- In a hilarious scene of Action Comics #868, Supergirl meets Cat Grant and accidentally reveals that her boobs are fake when she naively says out loud that "My X-ray vision is picking up some weird plastics in your —"
- In Supergirl (2011) #2, her X-Rays first activate when she's fighting Superman. Having no idea what her powers are, she freaks out when she sees her own bones◊.
- In Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, she accidentally sees through the clothes of a bunch of pressmen. Not wanting seeing their underwear, she cries.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Villainess Satan Girl is a resurrected Satanist from the 18th Century. When she's brought back, she speaks with the expected "thee's and thy", only in the next issue she tells her resurrected nemesis that she'll drop the formal speak if she'll drop her "holier-than-thou name calling."
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Kara has sometimes got the speech from her cousin:
- During Superman: Brainiac:Superman: I'll handle him. You need to do something else. Brainiac's fired some kind of weapon at the Sun. Kara. Whatever is heading towards the Sun, you need to stop it. If it gets there, it's going to trigger a supernova. And that fire will engulf the Earth.
Supergirl: I-I'm not fast enough.
Superman: Yes, you are.
Supergirl: I can't do it.
Superman: Yes, you can.
Supergirl: I'm scared.
Superman: It's okay to be scared.
- At the beginning of the The Final Days of Superman storyline, Superman asks her to take over when he's gone.Superman: You can do this. You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. Sure, our family shield can be a target. But it's also a badge of honor that I know you wear proudly each and every day.
- When Guy is trying to get Kara to leave in Red Daughter of Krypton, she argues that she can't stop being a Red, and she doesn't belong anywhere else. Guy replies she can find her way because she's stronger than them and stronger than she thinks.Supergirl: But even if I do go... the Ring... I can't take it off. I'm a Red forever. Without you and the others, how will I — What am I supposed to do?
Guy: You'll find your way. You're strong, Kara. You didn't choose this life, but I've seen enough in our time together to know that you can make something of it. You're better than all of us.
- In DCU Infinite Holiday Special issue #1, Supergirl must reunite a little girl with her father. Though the man is a jerkass drunk who doesn't want to see his daughter because doesn't want her to realize her father is a screw-up. Supergirl convinces him maybe he can fix things, but only if he tries.Supergirl: You know the cliché, Fred. Everyone does. "When you're about to die, your life flashes in front of your eyes." But I've been there, and it's crap... isn't it? You see something, though. You see the holes... the missing bits. And all of the things that would have made your life complete, if you had one more year... a day... a second. I don't know what you saw, Fred, but considering you were in free fall for a solid minute, I bet it was an eyeful. Maybe you are a screw-up. A loser. A drunk. But maybe, the piece you're missing... can make you something better. But only if you go to her, and try. Merry Christmas, Fred. Hope it's a good one.
- In Injustice 2 issue #26, Damian thinks he's become nothing but a soldier following orders of his madman of a grandfather. Kara disagrees.Damian: Kara. I'm... not a good person.
Damian: You don't know me. You don't know—
Kara: Your grandfather wants to kill millions. Your father is the Batman— evil incarnate as I understand it. Your mother?
Damian: She's an assassin.
Kara: Of course she is. Damian. Your family sounds like pure evil. But I've known you for less than a day, and in that time I've already seen you willing to sacrifice your life for a stranger. You don't have to go back to them.
- During Superman: Brainiac:
- You Are in Command Now: In Justice League 3000, Kara becomes The Leader of team after Superman and Batman get killed in Big Bad's first attack.
- You Are Not Alone:
- Supergirl gives this speech to Lar-On -a Kryptonian werewolf who lost his family and got stranded in Earth- in Supergirl (Rebirth) #1:Supergirl: People feared me, too. At first. This doesn't have to be you. You're not alone. Stop this. Let me help you. My father may have abandoned you... But I never will.
- In Action Comics #850, Supergirl has to take over her cousin's body to save his life. Before leaving, she uses her heat vision to write on the wall: "Hang in there, big guy. You're not in this alone."
- Supergirl gives this speech to Lar-On -a Kryptonian werewolf who lost his family and got stranded in Earth- in Supergirl (Rebirth) #1:
- You Didn't Ask: In The Supergirl from Krypton, when Superman tells his cousin he didn't know she could already use her X-Ray Vision, Kara answers: "You didn't ask".Superman: You noticed the lead, hmm? I didn't know your X-Ray vision had kicked in.
Supergirl: You didn't ask.
- You Do NOT Want To Know: In Supergirl vol 4 #79, Superman has been exposed to pink Kryptonite, which turns him gay temporarily. When Lois asks why he is acting so strange, Supergirl tells her she does NOT want to know.Superman: Did I ever tell you how smashing you look in bowties, Jimmy? By the way, that's a fabulous window treatment you've put together.
Jimmy: Gee... Thanks, I guess.
Lois: You know, Superman's been acting awfully strange since being exposed to pink Kryptonite. What do you think's wrong with him?
Supergirl: Lois, you so don't want to know.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness:
- In Adventure Comics #404, Starfire's henchman Derek Ames succeeds at nullifying Supergirl's powers, but his boss has him shot anyway when she fears he will expose her operation.
- It happens at the end of Red Daughter Of Krypton. After meeting Supergirl, Worldkiller-1 decides that he doesn't need its old host body anymore because the Kryptonian girl would make for a better container, and destroys its host.
- You Killed My Father:
- In Superman Vol 1 #149 Lex Luthor manages to kill Superman. Supergirl captures him and brings him to Bottle City of Kandor where he is judged and banished to the Phantom Zone. As she takes Luthor away, Kara warns a group of gangsters they may have succeeded in treacherously murdering her cousin but they will have to deal with her now.Supergirl: My name is... Supergirl! I'm Superman's cousin from Krypton! I've been his secret emergency weapon for years! Luthor, in the name of planet Krypton, I arrest you for murder!
- Post-Crisis Kara bears a grudge against Reactron, her father's murderer. At one point she fights Doomsday in "Reign of Doomsday", and she states she hasn't forgotten that monster killed her cousin.
- In Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl And Batgirl Batgirl wants to take Lex Luthor down because he hired the hitman who accidentally murdered her parents. And Kara wants to kill Lex Luthor after finding out that he murdered her cousin.
- In Superman Vol 1 #149 Lex Luthor manages to kill Superman. Supergirl captures him and brings him to Bottle City of Kandor where he is judged and banished to the Phantom Zone. As she takes Luthor away, Kara warns a group of gangsters they may have succeeded in treacherously murdering her cousin but they will have to deal with her now.
- You're Not My Father:
- In Supergirl vol. #5 issue #22, Kara thinks her cousin is about to lecture her after her latest mess-up, and she interrupts him to remind him he isn't her father or her brother, she's trying to learn to be better, and she doesn't need his validation (Superman answers that he actually agrees with her).Supergirl: No, listen to me. I have to say: I know you love me, and that's why you feel a need to act like my big brother or my dad — But you're neither one! Maybe I need to learn things the hard way. But I am learning! I want to be a family with you and Uncle Jon and Aunt Martha, but I don't need your... validation!
- In Red Daughter Of Krypton Kara says this line after her team's leader tells she shouldn't drink booze because she's just a kid.Supergirl: You're not my parent, Guy Gardner, and from what I understand, you don't even lead this team.
- In Supergirl vol. #5 issue #22, Kara thinks her cousin is about to lecture her after her latest mess-up, and she interrupts him to remind him he isn't her father or her brother, she's trying to learn to be better, and she doesn't need his validation (Superman answers that he actually agrees with her).
- Your Cheating Heart: In a pre-Crisis issue, she found out that her then-boyfriend Dale was cheating on her. When she chewed him out, he was completely unapologetic about his actions.
- Your Magic's No Good Here:
- Supergirl loses access to her powers in red sunlight.
- In Demon Spawn, Kara is kidnapped and brought to the Innerverse, an Alternate Dimension in where her powers don't work.
- You Shall Not Pass!:
- In Action Comics #904, Supergirl informs the Cyborg-Doomsday that he will not hurt her home◊ because he will NOT get past her.Supergirl: Haven't you figured it out yet?! You don't get past ME— You don't get to hurt my HOME — And you are going — DOWN!
- It happens in Red Daughter Of Krypton when Sheko tries to read Supergirl's memories. A memory of Alura blocks her, declares firmly that her daughter's mindraping is NOT going to happen and throws her out:Sheko: You... You can see me?
Alura: OF COURSE I can see you. Now GET OUT of our home!
Sheko: Who are you...?
Alura: Alura Zor-El! Praetor of Argo City! And you trespass at your peril!
- In Action Comics #904, Supergirl informs the Cyborg-Doomsday that he will not hurt her home◊ because he will NOT get past her.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Kara is a nice, kind, compassionate girl. She is also Hot-Blooded, short-tempered, brash and has little patience for fools and jerks. God helps you if you piss her off — which will happen if you hurt her family. In Red Daughter Of Krypton she flew off the handle and became a Red Lantern, and an onlooker said a Kryptonian wearing a Red Lantern Ring "is an extinction level threat".
- Zeerust: In Adventure Comics #389 (written in 1970), Brainiac, one of the greatest geniuses in the galaxy, stores information in cartridges.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Most of Supergirl's costumes include a mini-skirt or hot pants and boots. Her New 52 outfit◊ and her Red Lantern uniform◊ include a leotard-like armour and knee-length red boots.