16 and Pregnant
is an MTV
reality series produced by Morgan Freeman, (No, not THAT Morgan Freeman
) and was first broadcast on June 11, 2009. It follows the stories of teenage girls dealing with the hardships of teenage pregnancy. Each episode features a different teenage girl; the episode typically begins when she is four to eight months into her pregnancy, and typically ends when the baby is a few months old. The series is produced in a documentary format, with commercial breaks preceded by an animation of an elaborate cartoon depiction on notebook paper of each episode's highlights.
This series provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Not any of the girls themselves, but their parents (who are obviously soon-to-be grandparents). The mothers of Catelynn and Farrah come to mind.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Averted; the girls are often an object lesson in how being pregnant so young can ruin your life: chaining you to a Jerkass boyfriend (if they even stick around at all), making it extremely difficult for you to finish school (let alone attend college), and keeping you in debt, potentially shattering any dreams you might have for the future.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: A few of the mothers. Some mature once the baby is born, some... don't.
- Farrah, in particular, bounces between this and Children Raise You, often within the span of minutes.
- Jenelle, period.
- But We Used a Condom!: Sometimes.
- Character Development: Always, not always in a favorable direction.
- Daddy DNA Test: One episode featured the father's family giving his wife an at-home DNA kit and demanding that she take it to prove that the baby is his. She refused and stormed out of the house.
- Domestic Abuse: Amber, toward Gary.
- One girl (Jennifer Del Rio) got in a fight with her baby-daddy while they were out driving. He pushed her out of the car and drove off with the twins.
- Another girl found out her (unemployed) baby-daddy wasn't using the internet to look for a job anymore, but was instead chatting with another girl on Myspace. Later, when she confronted him about it, she ended up hitting him.
- From Bad to Worse: Farrah. First, the father dies in a car crash. She's forced to live with her family, which is less than ideal. Then, we learn her mother is physically abusive. If that wasn't enough, the father's family first tries to prove that he isn't the father and then when the paternity test says he is, immediately sues her for not giving them enough time with the baby. The cherry on top? She wanted an abortion, and it's implied her mother used emotional abuse to make her have the child. How much of this is truth and how much is Manipulative Editing is up to the viewer.
- Not just in the show. From her breast augmentation to making a sex-tape and entering rehab, this girl is finding herself in worse and worse trouble in real life...
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Catelynn and Tyler, although they were dating before their parents were.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Some of the parents and some of the girls believe in this trope.
- Averted in a spin-off special No Easy Decision where Markei, a girl previously featured on the show, became pregnant a second time and decided to abort it.
- May be something of an unintentional deconstruction; see Babies Make Everything Better and, on the YMMV page, Accidental Aesop.
- Completely averted in a season 4 episode featuring a girl whose older sister became pregnant around the same time as her and decided to abort the pregnancy. The girls go back and forth about who made the "right" decision, with the new mom eventually telling her sister that even though she loved her baby, if she could go back, she would have ended her pregnancy.
- Jerkass: Usually the fathers of the babies, but sometimes the mothers themselves.
- Mama Bear: A lot of the girls are very protective of their newborns. This isn't exclusive to them, though— Jamie's mom stands out as being fiercely protective of her daughter AND granddaughter.
- Miss Conception: Needless to say, a few girls had no idea how human reproduction worked, or still believed various rumors about what does or doesn't prevent pregnancy.
- Not Blood Siblings: After Catelynn and Tyler started dating, his dad married her mom. Becoming step-siblings didn't stop Catelynn and Tyler from dating and getting engaged.
- Panicky Expectant Father
- Spin-Off: Teen Mom
- Teen Pregnancy: Duh.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Farrah is called out by a few different people on being more interested in getting a new boyfriend than taking care of her baby.
- Jenelle too. We rarely see her with the kid at all and she was recently picked up on marijuana possession. It's no wonder why her mother is trying to take custody of the baby!
- She was filmed getting in a fight with another girl. Jenelle and the girls who were encouraging the fight ended up getting arrested for it. You can find the fight video on YouTube.
- Kailyn in a way. She was allowed to stay with Jo as long as she didn't date. However she ended up dating someone else and she went back to living with her mother for awhile after telling Jo.
- Possibly Amber, when she was smacking her baby daddy around.
- And now Farrah has done a sex-tape with a male pornstar.
- In a season 4 episode, the babydaddy's grandmother, who was a bit of a Cool Old Lady, sat the soon-to-be parents down and gave them one of these, calling out the girl for missing her birth control pills and her grandson for not using a condom.