Teen Mom (2009-2012) is a show on MTV, where the lives of four teen mothers are documented.
The original Teen Mom and it's predecessor 16 and Pregnant has led to spinoffs Teen Mom 2 and Teen Mom 3.
Contains examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: When she's not being verbally abusive or hitting up her daughter for face-lift money, Farrah's mother Deb wears completely inappropriate miniskirts and belly-shirts, shills her line of pasta sauce, and chugs wine while wearing bunny ears.
- Disappeared Dad:
- The father of Janelle's son Jace has only been seen once on the series and even then only on Skype.
- The father of Farrah's daughter Sophia died in a car crash shortly before she was born, but Farrah, to her credit, makes an effort to teach Sophia about him.
- Domestic Abuse: Amber, toward Gary, and much of their arguments are on camera. Likewise, she hits him, too.
- From Bad to Worse:
- Farrah. First, the father dies in a car crash. She's forced to live with her family, which is less than ideal. Then, we learn her mother is physically abusive. If that wasn't enough, the father's family first tries to prove that he isn't the father and then when the paternity test says he is, immediately sues her for not giving them enough time with the baby. The cherry on top? She wanted an abortion, and it's implied her mother used emotional abuse to make her have the child. How much of this is truth and how much is Manipulative Editing is up to the viewer.
- Jenelle. She went from a misbehaving teenager to a drug addict and frequent inmate of the local jail. She was also diagnosed, to little surprise, as suffering from bipolar disorder.
- Amber. She dealt with a range of issues including depression and lack of education and has admitted that she was on some form of drugs for most of the show's taping. She is out of jail and has her GED at least.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Critics claim that the show portrays the girls this way, but the moms face a number of problems both in and out of the show.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Most of the girls on the show have spoken abortion, particularly Catelynn, Mackenzie and others. When Briana and her sister both got pregnant at the same time, her sister opted for an abortion, while Briana kept her baby. Farrah had wanted an abortion, but her mother refused to let her get one.
- Ill Girl:
- Leah's daughter, Allie, suffers from a rare form of muscular dystrophy, and often needs medical treatments.
- Mackenzie from Teen Mom 3 has very severe diabetes, which made her pregnancies very high-risk.
- Mandatory Motherhood: It's implied that some form of this was Farrah's situation, as her mother refused to let her have a termination.
- Not Blood Siblings: After Catelynn and Tyler started dating, his dad started dating her mom.
- Raised by Grandparents: Jenelle's son Jace is raised his grandmother, Barbara.