Mahou Shoujo Troper Magica is a TV Tropes forum RP, started late February 2011 by daltar, based on Studio SHAFT's first original anime series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Set in the same universe as the original series (Mitakihara is given a passing mention early in Yamanaka), the RP follows more or less the same premises: several ordinary girls are approached by the mysterious Weasel Mascot Kyubey, who offers them a deal: make a contract with him and become a Magical Girl, and they will each be granted a single wish that is capable of achieving miracles; in exchange, the Magical Girls are tasked with finding and eliminating monsters known as Witches, who prey on unsuspecting humans from their extradimensional lairs. The cast also contains several veteran Magical Girls, who each have their own agenda.
Currently, the RP has four locations that have been prematurely closed due to lack of interest, or time, or whatever other reason: Imaizumi, Fujiwara, Yamanaka, and Kaikin. All four act as wards to a larger metropolitan area, known as Kyoen City.
The RP also incorporates some fairly large spoilers (as of the newest ward, all the way to episode 12) from the anime series, so those who wish to enjoy Madoka unspoiled should watch it first.
The signup thread is here.
Tropes found in Mahou Shoujo Troper Magica include:
- Awesome, but Impractical: Vera's weapon burns a good chunk of her magic, which is why it's dangerous to use it on single demons.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Hanami's wish gave her the ability to learn everything there is to know about anything she looks at; she can't understand everything she absorbs all at once, however, so she has to be selective about what she learns to make it useful.
- Badass Normal: Haruna fights witches despite not having made a contract.
- Blade on a Stick: Rei's Weapon of Choice; she can manipulate every physical aspect of her spears, and can do quite a lot with them.
- Destructive Saviour: Blasting a three-meter hole in the wall of a parking garage is "no biggie" for Hanami. So is nearly destroying Yamanaka's central garden.
- Dynamic Entry: How Ciel saved Alicia's life from a Demon - she jumped off the top of a shopping mall and kicked it hard enough to allow another Magical Girl to finish it off with ease.
- Failure Knight: After a girl she was trying to save from a particularly vicious Alpha Bitch committed suicide, Michiko wished she could stop people from hurting others.
- Gender Bender: Kotono used her wish to correct her physical sex.
- Huge Schoolgirl: At 5'8", Ysanne towers over fellow Magical Girl Rei (who's 5'4", and is also taller than average).
- Jumped at the Call: Fujiwara was very quick to contract with Kyubey, even though it meant a sudden switch in gender and a new focus in his life.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Hotaru used her wish to forget the Awful Truth about Magical Girls and to never learn about it again; this includes forgetting about her old friends. Her mind automatically wipes the related memories whenever they resurface.
- Lighter and Softer:
- Than its source material; the death toll by percentage is miniscule in comparison. Between the wards, Imaizumi has shown a tendency toward Romantic Comedy tropes.
- Kaikin, if for no other reason than being based on the post-Madokami world, which removes a certain significant consequence towards overuse of magic.
- Lightning Bruiser: Ciel is fast and hard-hitting, yet tough enough to just barely avoid being a Fragile Speedster.
- Light 'em Up: Vera's attacks revolve around light, and her soul gem is shaped like a lightbulb.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Going by the character page, the RP has forty-seven named characters (after discounting Nazuna's double appearance), and some of them also come with their own named NPCs. Even Kaikin alone has a main cast more than double that of Madoka's.
- Meaningful Name:
- Aside from one particular example that carries over from the series proper, 'Kyoen' is an alternate reading of 'Urobuchi', the characters of which mean 'hopeless' or 'futile' and 'abyss'.
- "Taihou" means "cannon", which fits Ysanne perfectly. One can only wonder if the rest of the family is like her, since Taihou is their family name...
- Miko: Saito's the daughter of a local Shinto priest, and her Magical Girl costume is a stylized miko outfit.
- Mood Whiplash: Especially evident in Imaizumi, which went from a mass suicide in an apartment complex to a slumber party.
- And the day after, having cake on the school rooftop to one of the girls (supposedly) dying.
- This can also be evident between wards; at the time Fujiwara's Magical Girls were witnessing their first death, the Imaizumi girls were going shopping.
- Even Kaikin Ward is not immune to the Urobutcher Effect , when the second extended Demon attack proved to have the first appearing Demon be a feint to distract all the Magical Girls so that other Demons could sucessfully drive at least five people in a park to suicide.
- Ms. Exposition: Rei explains to Akane (and later to Noa, much more briefly) what being a Magical Girl is all about.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Hanami throws up upon realizing she killed a person (who was mind-controlled and attempting to kill her sister, admittedly) on impulse.
- The One Guy: Kiyohiko is only male character (in both sex and gender) in the entire Imaizumi cast.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Shizuka's parents died two to three years ago, and she's been struggling to seek out a meaningful relationship ever since.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Michiko is one of the two Magical Girls that has the most magical potential, but she is also fairly new to the darker side of the Magical Girl business: case in point, her reaction to the Demon victims in the park.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The RP is set in 2014.