Originally aired October 16, 2008
Written by Bryan Q. Miller
Directed by Glen Winter
After Chloe and Jimmy are kidnapped, Clark and Lois pose as a newly engaged couple to try and find the kidnapper.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: In the teaser, Lois gets tipsy at Chloe and Jimmy's engagement party, and gives a questionable speech about relationships.
- Brick Joke: After Clark and Lois find the Kinky Cuffs presumably prepared by Jimmy, Macy keeps his word and frees Jimmy and Chloe when they pass his test. Then Chloe realises it's not over... when she sees the handcuffs.
- Continuity Nod:
- When Lois wakes up at the Kent farm, she is wearing Clark's high school football jersey, No. 8, sponsored by Luthor Corp.
- While he and Chloe are being tortured, Jimmy brings up kissing Maxima in the previous episode.
- Chloe mentions to Lois how she crashed Lana and Lex's engagement in Crimson - also worth noting is the mention of a "White Snake singalong", which is the same band on Lois' CD from that episode.
- Electric Torture: Macy subjects his victims to a Kryptonite-enhanced version of this to prove their fidelity to one another.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Oliver and Tess get into a heated sparring match with gaff sticks that ends with them in bed.
- Kinky Cuffs: Olsen isn't that wholesome after all.
- Knight Templar: Macy believes he's actually helping couples.
- Kryptonite Is Everywhere: In Smallville, it might have been justified, but a random guy in Metropolis just so happening to wear a Kryptonite-studded bracelet?
- Lie Detector: Macy uses one while interrogating couples.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Macy wears a creepy plastic mask when he's doing his interrogation.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Oliver is seen wearing one after his night with Tess, who's already
- Mundanger: Macy, who has no special powers to work with.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Presumably all of the former victims failed the test - once Chloe and Jimmy get through it, he sets them free, pretty much sealing his own fate.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Played With. Oliver wakes alone in bed, but Tess is still in the room finishing getting dressed. But when he tries to get romantic, she shoots him down and tells him to leave.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: After their sparring match, Tess and Oliver start kissing passionately and the camera cuts away from them. The next time we seen them, it's already the morning after.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Lois wakes up wearing Clark's football jersey and freaks out for a bit thinking she may have slept with him, but Clark is quick to assure her they didn't and she changed clothes on her own while drunk.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Tess and Oliver engage in this just before their date.
- Toplessness from the Back: Tess briefly before she finishes putting her robe on.
- Tranquillizer Dart: Macy uses this to incapacitate his victims.
- Undercover as Lovers: Lois and Clark in order to bait Macy.
- Villain of the Week: Macy, crazed jeweler.
- Violence Discretion Shot: At the crucial moment, Clark sets off a steam pipe that clouds the whole chamber and prevents Lois from seeing how he owns Macy. Unfortunately, neither do we.
- You Look Familiar: David Lewis, who plays Macy, previously appeared in Season 2's "Calling."
- Your Cheating Heart: Macy caught his wife cheating on him; this drove him to villainy. Tess accuses Oliver of this back when they were together.