The Great Outdoors
Ren and Stimpy are out camping in the woods.
The Cat who Laid the Golden Hairball
Ren finds out how valuable Stimpy's hairballs actually are.
The Great Outdoors provides examples of...
- Animal Gender-Bender: The mosquitoes are clearly female in that they suck blood and lay eggs, but they have male voices and refer to each other as "guys".
- Fur Is Clothing: Ren and Stimpy take off their furs to go swimming.
- Horrible Camping Trip: For Ren, through the entire episode.
- Instant Mass: Just Add Water!: Ren eats a pill of dehydrated horse meat, which rehydrates inside his body as a whole horse.Mr. Horse: (inside Ren) No sir, I don't like it.
- Oh, Crap!: Ren knows he's screwed when he sees a (relieved) beaver floating in the water cooler he drank from.
- Running Gag: Naked Old Man Hunger would say, "I just love skinny (verb)-ing!"
- Squee!: Ren cries excitedly when he sees a lone mosquito sucking blood from his arm.
- Skinny Dipping: Stimpy gets Ren to try to go into water naked. And then Old Man Hunger and his wife join in.
The Cat Who Laid the Golden Hairball provides examples of...
- Ascended Fanfic: The episode was actually inspired by a comic a fan had sent into Spumco.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Ren wants Stimpy to shut up.Stimpy: (noticed one of his arms is bare) Hey, Ren...
Ren: (throws a cinderblock at him) SHUT UP AND LICK YOUR OTHER ARM!!
- Bigger on the Inside: Bubba goes inside Stimpy to see why he can't produce hairballs. He is so big Stimpy stretches around him, but then he is seen walking around Stimpy's cavernous innards.
- The Chew Toy: Stimpy gets farmed clean of hairballs until they're completely bare, hit with a cinderblock, squeezed like toothpaste, and violently branded on the ass, among other things, and the audience is meant to love every second of it.
- Disney Death: Stimpy seems like he's dying at the end. But as soon as it is announced that the episode is over, he gets up and starts dancing with Ren as if nothing happened.
- Gainax Ending: After realizing that it's over for Stimpy's hairball-hocking days, everyone suddenly shouts "It's over!" in cheery voices, then starts dancing to goofy music.
- Heroic RRoD: Physical breakdown from overexerting themselves.
- Stimpy is licked clean and hairless and passes out exhausted on the conveyor belt, which causes Ren to violently stamp Stimpy's butt.
- Stimpy is overworked nearly to death, destroying his hwarfing gland in the process.
- Head-and-Hip Pose: The supermodel in the hairball dress strikes this pose, touching her huge hat and her hip during a news broadcast describing the increasing value of hairballs and all their potential uses.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Ren is horrified at what he's done after overworking Stimpy leaves his wharfing gland ruined.Ren: Without it, he's only half a cat! Stimpy, I—
- Overly Long Tongue: Stimpy sports one while licking places like the arms, and the belly. Eventually all this licking leaves Stimpy completely stripped clean of places to lick, and without fuel to keep hwarfing.
- Shaking the Rump: After getting branded on the ass, Stimpy gives a little butt shake before getting back up off the conveyor belt.
- Video Full of Film Clips: This episode provided a majority of the clips for the music video for "Cat Hairballs", which followed the same basic premise as the episode. The video even ends with the scene of Stimpy passing out and getting stamped on the butt.
- Wacky Sound Effect: When Ren brands Stimpy's butt cheeks, they make a loud Pppvvvvt sound on impact.
- Whole Plot Reference: Cat Hairballs' Music Video was mostly based on (and used clips from) this episode. With the video even ending on the famous scene of Stimpy getting rolled out on the conveyor belt and branded on the ass.
- Wingding Eyes: Ren gets dollar sign eyes every time he stamps one of Stimpy's hairballs in the conveyor belt. However, when he stamps a furless Stimpy's butt, he gets "No Sale" sign instead.