Original air date: 4/24/1993 (produced in 1992)
It's another boring afternoon for R&S until the mailman arrives. He brings them mounds and mounds of letters for Stimpy addressed to "Hollywood, Yugoslavia." When Ren discovers he didn't get any fan mail, Stimpy calms Ren's sadness with making him president of his fan club. After reading several dozen letters, Ren loses his mind over his jealousy of Stimpy. That night in bed, Ren plans Stimpy's murder (à la William Shakespeare's Macbeth), and decides to do something worse than murder. In the end, Ren gets a fan letter and a surprise.
Tropes at work in this episode:
- Astonishingly Appropriate Interruption: Ren gets so disgusted after finding out one of Stimpy's fans is a bedwetter, and writes an insulting response to him. As he writes it, Stimpy comes in to check up on him and is shocked by what he's writing.Ren: Dear Johnny...You make me SICK!!! You probably wet the bed on purpose! I have written letters to everybody at your school warning them never to sleep over with you! Your friend...Stimpy: REN!!!Ren: (Oh, Crap!)
- Big "WHAT?!": Ren shouts "WHAAAAAA?!!" when he sees that one of Stimpy's fans thinks he's a mosquito instead of a chihuahua.
- Bowdlerization: When aired on TeenNick's "The Splat" block, the scene where Ren briefly turns into a man's ass is edited so that Ren continually looks at the camera ashamed (though the donkey braying can still be heard). BBC2 aired this version in 1995.
- Break the Haughty: Ren, when he discovers the fan letter he got was from Stimpy.
- Call-Back: The shocked bystanders from "Nurse Stimpy" reappear at the end.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The most infamous scene of the episode has Ren contemplating murdering Stimpy in his sleep, all out of jealousy.
- Do You Know Who You're Dealing With?!
- Embarrassing Damp Sheets: One of the fan letters is from a boy who confides in Stimpy that he wets the bed. Ren is about to write an angry letter threatening to tell everyone when Stimpy stops him. He explains that lots of kids wet the bed... and "you and I still do it", at which point Ren covers his mouth with his hand, hoping no one heard.
- Fan of the Underdog: Stimpy writes Ren his single fan letter and offers him a hug.Stimpy: I meant every word.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: In the "Secret Club" interval:Ren: Remember, reveal what you've seen here, and we'll tear your tonsils out!
- Green-Eyed Monster: Ren towards Stimpy and his endless devout fans.
- Hypocritical Humor: Ren tears into a kid who confides in him how he wets the bed in a letter. Stimpy rebukes this, lots of kids wet the bed...they still wet the bed. Ren quickly silences him.
- I Am Not Weasel: One of the fan letters to Stimpy mentions "that thing that's always mean to you. What is he anyway? A mosquito?" Ren does not take it well.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Ren says this word-for-word.
- Imagine Spot: After Stimpy offers to have him be the president of his fan club, Ren imagines himself as the actual President.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Ren plays this trope a few times in the episode.
- Jerkass Realization: Ren envisions himself as a literal ass as discovering his single fan.
- Metaphoric Metamorphosis: Ren turns into a human ass, accompanied by a donkey braying, when he realizes he's being a jealous jerk to the only person who appreciates him.
- Mood Whiplash: So much it will make your neck hurt.
- Neck Snap: Ren almost does this to Stimpy before freaking out when realizes the consequences of doing so.
- Open Shirt Taunt: Ren is so distraught at disappointing Stimpy that he tears open his fur and hands Stimpy a dagger for him to stab him in the chest.
- Out, Damned Spot!: Ren rants about how answering all those letters has made his hands dirty, and that "the dirt won't come off!"
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Ren's "worse than murder" plan involves him getting mail in an epically terrible Stimpy costume.
- Sanity Slippage: Reading all of the fan mail addressed to Stimpy erodes Ren's already fraying mind, until he dives straight into psychosis and comes very close to murdering Stimpy in his sleep.
- Standard Snippet: "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from The Nutcracker is when Ren reads Cindy's letter.
- Stealth Insult: After answering the first letter from a kid who says he wants to be just like Stimpy when he grows up, Ren assures him that if he keeps watching the show, he most definitely will end up like Stimpy.Ren: Yeah, braindead.
- Tears of Remorse: Big, mean Ren cries like a baby after he finds out Stimpy, the target of his near-murderous envy, wrote him a fan letter.
- Vein-o-Vision: In the middle of his murderous rant, Ren sees a sleeping Stimpy's veins throbbing.
- Voice of the Legion: "And with these hands... I hold the fate of millions."
"MY HOT... STINGING... BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNN!!!!"
- Ren gets this again in the same scene when panicking about the consequences of him killing Stimpy. Doubles as Punctuated! For! Emphasis!