Refused is a massively influential Post-Hardcore / Hardcore Punk / whatever they feel like band from Sweden. Theyre best known for their 1998 album The Shape of Punk to Come and its lead (and sole) single "New Noise".
They also provide the music for Cyberpunk2077's iconic Johnny Silverhand and his band Samurai.
- Alternative Metal: A clear influence, due to the staccato-like rhythm guitars, experimentation and blasting metallic distortion.
- Anarchy Is Chaos: Averted, albeit lyrically. Theyre committed anarcho-communists.
- Capitalism Is Bad: 90% of the band's lyrics are devoted to attacking capitalism and the government.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Their early material was fairly straightforward-sounding hardcore with little of the experimental twists to come demonstrated.
- Post-Hardcore: One of the most acclaimed examples of the genre.
- Metal Scream: Dennis is a HUGE Type 3.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Difficult to quantify because it can change drastically between songs, but generally speaking the hardcore sections can go from a 7 to a solid 9.