The heroes are looking for something suspicious. Possibly a murderer.
They find him busy at work on his grisly deed, but he perks up and notices our heroes.
Bonus points if the murderer is having lunch in the process.
This is pretty much always shot from behind the murderer for dramatic reasons—it partially obscures the victim, lending ambiguity and tension to the scene and helping the audience's imagination to fill in the grisly details.
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eva 01 does this to an Angel in an incredibly disturbing scene.
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: This occurs in an episode where Batou recognizes the tactics of a serial killer from a CIA black op during a war. During the flash back they come upon a whole village brutally flayed alive and left to die. The killer in the flash back demonstrates this trope as Batou reaches out to touch him.
- Berserk has a similar one, except it's a family of three devouring their newborn. Alive.
- Junji Ito shows us how it's done.◊
- Possibly happened in Johnny the Homicidal Maniac more than once.
- Commonplace in Zombie Apocalypse films. The heroes see somebody crouched over a body, then the zombie looks up and it's obvious they are eating from the body.
- Partial example in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone when Harry, Draco and Fang accidentally interrupt Voldemort's unicorn meal in the Forbidden Forest. He doesn't turn around, but he does look up, and there is blood on his lips.
- One of the most iconic moments in the Resident Evil franchise. In the first game, a zombie (the first one you ever encounter in the game) does this as he's eating Kenneth. This example gets bonus points since you can later find and watch a video of it from Kenneth's perspective filmed on his camera.
- In The King of Fighters, 'Riot of Blood' Iori does this in one of his desperation moves.
- Early in FEAR, Paxton Fettel is occupied over a labcoat's body. He looks back at the camera to reveal the blood smeared around his mouth.
- Saya no Uta has Saya doing this. Fuminori doesn't catch it because of his warped vision.