The debut novel of Tammy Spahn, released with little fanfare in December 2012. It tells the story of Ssalia, a young ssyrean girl living on the planet Pelsatia, as she searches for the hidden dragon city Avienot and gets involved in all sorts of things along the way.
This book contains examples of:
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Walking on thin air in the jade tower library is only possible if one believes it can be done.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The gardener, who doesn't actually have a name as nobody gave him one.
- Humans Through Alien Eyes: Or rather, mammals through reptilian eyes.
- I Found You Like This: Frynnick finding Ssalia after she nearly drowns near the beginning of the book and a second time after she is poisoned by the unseen.
- Just Whistle: Captain Ssorgon calls his fish companion with a conch-shaped whistle.
- Lizard Folk: The Ssyrean, though described (and sometimes referred to) as snakes, bear more similarities to these, mainly due to having legs.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Not specified in the text, but character illustrations on the author's deviantART page include these.
- Plant Person: The gardener, possibly, though his nature is never expanded on.
- Really 700 Years Old: The dragons, who reach adulthood at 240 years. Vellisia, who Ssalia estimates to be around her age (twelve), is actually 172.
- Sssssnaketalk: All Ssyrean names with an "s" in them turn it into "ss" (even at the beginning of the name), though this peculiarity isn't actually found in their dialogue.