open/close all folders
Critical Rejects, part 1
- Lily, a cute little halfling girl, gives the three adventures a hug at the completion of their quest, and thanks them for saving her and her family.
Special Episode: Liam's Quest: Full Circle
- Matt and Marisha finally get to play D&D while sitting next to each other. Throughout the one-shot, they are consistently being so cute together.
- A minor one, with a bit of funny in it, but Liam consistently describes Matt's Thunderwave as having effect by being a resonance of Matt's pure soul. No one objects.
- When they realize they've reverted to their childhood selves, Ashley notes one crucial difference: this time around, they have friends.
- The ending of the one-shot is one massive love letter from Liam to everyone in the group, combined with being a massive Tear Jerker.
I have been alone for thousands of years, and there are things I have wanted to say.Will you indulge me for a moment longer?Taliesin. My friend. At a time when I knew many fascinating people, you were easily the mostfascinating of all. Somehow, a heart knocked around by the industry that birthed you, cameout a tender one. I was richer for having known you. Thank you, friend.Ash-O-Lee. My friend. I never met a person quite like you. There is an openness and anhonesty to your soul. The very real sense of humanity you brought to every encounter.It was inspiring to me. Always learning. Always humble. You always struck me as anintricately layered, yet you offered friendship with ease and simplicity. I was richer forhaving known you, friend.Travis. My friend. You were always a solid constant in my life. Of all the people in ourlittle family, you were always the one who most had his shit together, in ways I neverseemed to. You were a reassuring presence to me, for which I was grateful, and foryour loyalty as well. I was richer for having known you, friend.Marisha. My friend. Last to meet, but true as any other. You were my ally, at a timewhen I have fallen by the side of the road. You saw and helped me back on my feet.I will never forget that kindness. The good you did was... immeasurable. I was richer forhaving known you, friend.Laura. My friend. Bless that game for revealing to me, my sister. What started asa running gag, led to one of the most rewarding friendships in my short little life.I trusted you, leaned on you often. My buddy. My twin. There are not enough words.I was richer for having known you, friend.Sam. My friend. What is there to say? I knew we were meant to walk the same pathtogether, the very first moment I met you. A companion, a brother, a great light in mylife. All of the laughter you gave me... again, the words are insufficient. I was richerfor having known you, friend.Matthew. My friend. You gave so much of yourself. The current of creativity thatpoured forth from your mind was always an inspiration to us all. But, more than that,your empathy Matthew, your empathy... no heart is bigger, or more tireless. You area good man. I was richer for having known you, friend.Thank you, all. It was ever a pleasure.
- And the group returns it; when computer!Liam tells them the only way to survive is to kill him, they decide it's better to stay and die as a family.
- Meta: As some Critters gleefully pointed out in the comments: Its 2020, Liam (and Critical Role) is still around, so the party did succeed in breaking the loop!
Special Episode: Battle Royale III
- Even if they are in a non-canonical episode for a battle royale, and if there MUST be only one left, Percy doesn't want to be the one who kills Vex.
- After putting Keyleth down with Taryon's help, Grog offers Tary the chance to walk away and surrender.
- Grog finally manages to break through Taryon's Sanctuary on his first attack; because it's his first time experiencing this, Travis assumes he doesn't have to roll another check. Upon realizing his mistake, he immediately apologizes to Sam and tells him what to erase. Since the game was really close, Travis could have lied and said he checked, but he stays honest.
Bunions and Flagons
- Among the minor background characters at the bar are a half-orc and a blue tiefling with a baby. Travis revealed much later that this was in fact a hint at not only his and Laura's characters for the second campaign, but that they were having a baby.
Thursday by Night (Part 2)
- Laura stops Travis from killing someone. This unknowingly stops Travis from breaking Vampire Society rules and later saves him from being executed. Travis then argues on Laura's behalf, saying that if either of them should live it should be her. They both end up surviving and becoming part of the LA Camarilla.
Honey Heist 2: Electric Beargaloo
- Trinket refers to Percy as "Papa-in-Law".
Critical Role and the Club of Misfits
- When Brian fails an athletics check on a jump, Sam, as Claire uses her ability to switch places with her ward to save him.
The Search for Grog
- On a Meta level- the show was held the same day as Taliesin's birthday. Cue the entire audience and cast singing Happy Birthday to him.
- Vox Machina heading off on their most dangerous mission yet to Pandemonium to rescue Grog's soul. While planning to leave Trinket behind and transport Grog's body in her necklace, Trinket instead offers to carry Grog's body on his back. Nearly the entire cast and audience nearly break down in tears.
- Almost as karma, this ends up saving Grog faster, as Trinket was able to dart through the fight to reunite Grog with the gem that housed his soul, allowing him to join the battle.
The Search for Bob
- At the end of the episode Vox Machina manage to take "Bob" back to Whitestone with them, where Pike uses Greater Restoration to restore his mind. After all he put the party through, his true self turns out to be a complete Nice Guy, and he's immensely grateful to the party for helping him. He asks Pike what she "loves most in her heart", and she says "this family". He uses his powers to create statues of all Vox Machina in Whitestone.
- As Vox Machina heads into Whitestone for dinner, Scanlan holds Pike's hand. She squeezes it three times.
Red Nose Day 2019 (aka The Sphere of Generosity)
- A good amount of this one-and-done charity special is actually Special Guest Stephen Colbert talking about his early experience with D&D and other similar tabletop games of the time, circa 1977, making this his first legit game in decades.Stephen: I haven't heard the word ichor in over 30 years!
Matt: Welcome back.
Dalen's Closet One-Shot (Vex and Percy's wedding)
- Prior to the one-shot's airing, several past guest stars Tweeted in-character congratulations to Percy and Vex. Check out messages from Shale, Tova, Zahra, Kashaw, Lyra, Sprigg, Garthok, and Lillith!
- Percy and Vex's wedding vows, as well as the speeches at the rehearsal dinner. While Taryon's is, predictably, a little cheesy and full of self-glorification, it's still a heartwarming take on the difference between science and love.
- Scanlan didn't bring a gift for the happy couple, so instead he casts Wish to allow Vax'ildan to return for a few minutes and speak with his sister on her wedding day, which the Raven Queen granted, as well as a chance for Keyleth to finally gain closure for her loss. Keyleth insists that there is nothing to forgive and that she will continue to live and never move on from him. And finally, she promises to look after Vex and Percy and their children. Compounding that, Sam rolled a 17, so Scanlan may never cast Wish again, so his final Wish was a selfless one from his heart.Scanlan: It's okay. It's worth it.
The Adventures of the Darrington Brigade
- The premise itself is pretty adorable, Taryon working to make a non-profit adventuring brigade to help people. Plus with the business sense of some of his new partners (especially Hazel) they may one day be able to support themselves solely through merchandising and Taryon's books/audiobooks, while still giving away all adventuring treasure to charity.
- While Tary is intrigued by Hazel's recording devices, he still points out how Doty is his official biographer and dear to him. Hazel is quick to say she's sure she could never replace Doty, and by the end of the one-shot Taryon wants Doty to write out the audiobook before he records it, cementing Doty still very much has his place as Taryon's writer.
- While the have the wackiness taken Up to Eleven, Mac and Buddy are obvious shoutouts to Master Blaster with Mac watching out for Buddy, introducing him to the group as a "special ogre." But unlike Master, Mac has some serious magic to use to defend his pal, and will not hesitate to use it.
- In another callback to Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome Mac emphasizes that Taryon needs to use shorter words around Buddy, and Taryon quickly complies, in addition to helping Buddy fix his vision issues.
- The entire group quickly becomes very protective of Buddy, despite the fact that he's a very sturdy fighter and their tank. His not always understanding why opponents are hurting him just seems to activate everyone else's protective instincts.
- After Buddy's vision is corrected, as Liam says, he's seeing the world for the first time...and finds everything "pretty." Even monsters he's having to do battle with.
- The fact that unlike Taryon's last attempt at a team, this one actually sticks around even after he makes it clear up front this is not for profit. They're hesitant, but still give it a go and become True Companions along the way.
- Taryon's generosity is in full force. The group get to raid his warehouse for all kinds of gear before they set out, and while everything is branded there's still a lot of great equipment for them, like the upgraded platform for Mac to ride Buddy from (additional defenses either can activate, ejector seat), stronger fighting gloves for Buddy, Boots of Speed for Damion, and so on. So while Taryon's still not sold on letting them keep weapons they find, as those could be made into gold to donate, he'll make sure they're equipped nonetheless.
DOOM Eternal One Shot
- Despite the fact that they are playing some of the most Always Chaotic Evil demons in all of fiction, the players still play things as if they're True Companions, cheerfully complimenting each others' chaos and being horrified at the idea of each other falling in battle.
- Krill holding up corpses for Mancubus to eat, as Mancubus doesn't have hands.
- Despite otherwise dismissing the demons, Hayden does seem to develop some Villain Respect for Phyllis...this being the sort of setting it is that means he's going to focus on eliminating her for it, but it's still a sweet acknowledgement.