A 2009 indie film written and directed by David Russo, starring Marshall Allman, Vince Vieluf, and Natasha Lyonne.
Unfufilled with his lot in life, tech wiz Dory (Allman) decides to quit his lucrative job and take up as a janitor. He is qucikly hired on at Spiffy Jiffy, a punk-ish custodial outfit working within a market research firm. Taken under the wing of OC, a charismatic wannabe artist, Dory adapts to his new position.
One day, in an effort to make a little extra cash, Dory and OC attend a reseach panel testing out a new kind of "self-heating" cookie. As it turns out, the cookies are delicious. Unfortuately, side effects include chemical dependence, severe hallucinations, abdominal cramps, wacky cravings, and spontaneous male pregnancy.
Despite the above description, the film is not a horror movie. Rather, it's a quirky existentialist dramedy.
This film provides examples of:
- Bizarre Alien Biology: The buttfish, which don't even technically qualify as living things, but are more a sort of chemical aberration.
- Book-Ends: At the beginning of the film, Dory is sitting on a rock cliff, reading a Bible. He spots a Message in a Bottle, and falls face-first into the ocean trying to retrieve it. Soaking wet, he breaks the bottle against the rocks (cutting his hand in the process) in order to get at the message inside, which simply states "Fuck You!" At the end of the film, Dory creates his own message, which washes up on a beach and is discovered by a man walking by. It reads "I'm sorry."
- Chekhov's Gun: Earlier in the film, Ethel shows Dory Corrupt Corporate Executive Gary's porn collection, which he keeps in an unlocked closet. Later on, when Dory tries to confront Gary, he exposes the porn, leaving Gary mortified. But then time rewinds itself, either due to some sort of meta time travel or the confrontation being an imagine spot. The scene replays itself again, no confrontation occurs, and no porn is revealed.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Being pregnant with a blue fish means suffering from hallucinations, dependency on the cookies (see G-Rated Drug), and severe abdominal cramps, simular to constipation.
- Mister Seahorse: If you're a guy, eating the cookies impregnates you with a small blue fishlike creature, which is birthed through the rectum.