The Dark is a 1979 American Sci-Fi Horror film.
An alien creature lands in Los Angeles, and starts killing random people. Nicknamed "the Mangler" for its brutality, the creature evades authorities at every turn. A detective, a television reporter and an author try to hunt the being down, but they're having no luck either. They then contact a psychic to stop the horror forever.
Not to be confused with the 2005 film of the same name.
This film contains examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: The Mangler crashes onto Earth and immediately starts killing random people, seemingly For the Evulz.
- Big Bad: The Mangler, the alien stalking LA.
- Eye Beams: The Mangler's species can shoot orange lasers from their eyes.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: The Mangler is an alien who crash-lands to Earth and immediately starts killing one person a night and projecting visions to psychics for no apparent reason.
- Most Writers Are Writers: One of the protagonists is a horror author.
- Occult Detective: The film plays out like a mystery where various players are hunting for a Serial Killer, except the killer is an alien. Madame De Renzy gets extra points for also being psychic.
- Psychic Powers: The Mangler is a telepath, and uses this ability to project visions of its murders onto anybody nearby who has similar abilities.
- Red Baron: The alien is dubbed "the Mangler" by the press, due to the brutality of its murders.
- Serial Killer: The Mangler spends the film slaughtering random people, one a night, for unknown reasons. The main characters spend most of the film under the assumption that it's a human serial killer.
- The "The" Title
- Villain Opening Scene: The Mangler crashing on Earth and attacking a woman.