A group of Romani (gypsies) has to deal with the loss of their so-called king (Sterling Hayden), who left the position of leadership to his grandson (Eric Roberts), who is reluctant to take on the role. His father (Judd Hirsch) is angry that he was passed on the role and tries to have his son killed out of resentment.
The movie was released on December 20, 1978.
Tropes for the film:
- Archnemesis Dad: Groffo is this towards his son, Dave, out of resentment that he was passed on the leadership of their group.
- Big Applesauce: Takes place in 1960s New York.
- The Film of the Book: Of the before mentioned book by Maas.
- Period Piece: The film takes place in The '60s.
- Reluctant Ruler: Dave is unwilling on his part to take on the title "King of the Gypsies" from his grandfather but he eventually accepts it and prepares to take the group into the twentieth century.
- Roguish Romani: The focus of the film is about a turbulent group of Romani dealing with a transition to power from grandfather to grandson, in which a father tries to have his son killed because his father (the son's grandfather) bypassed him.