The movie is an loose, very loose adaptation of The Lost World (1912) by Arthur Conan Doyle set in modern day, but the film has little to do with the original movie, as it was produced to cash in with Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005).
Tropes associated with King of the Lost World:
- Brainwashed: Natalie is brainwashed into joining the natives of the jungle, subverted with Dana, who fakes her brainwashing.
- Death by Adaptation: Challenger dies, unlike his book counterpart.
- Downer Ending: Ed blows up the crashed plane to kill the gorilla, leaving him, Rita, and Dana trapped in the jungle.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: A giant gorilla appears at the end of the film.
- Fanservice: While being inspected by one of the female natives, Natalie has her shirt ripped open, exposing her bare chest. Also she and Dana wear skimpy outfits when they join the natives.
- Also the other natives could qualify
- Mock Buster: Despite being said to be an adaptation of The Lost World (1912), this was mainly made to tie in with King Kong (2005).