Confetti is a 2006 romantic comedy, featuring such well known comic actors and comedians as Jimmy Carr, Olivia Colman, Martin Freeman, Meredith Macneill, Stephen Mangan, Jessica Stevenson and Robert Webb. Wedding magazine Confetti decides to hold a "Most Original Wedding" competition, with the prize being a brand new house. The three couples are Matt and Sam(Freeman and Stevenson) who want to hold an MGM musical wedding, Josef and Isabelle (Mangan and Macneill) a competitive pair of tennis players, and Michael and Joanna (Webb and Colman), who surprisingly wish to have the entire ceremony completely naked. The film is performed mockumentary style as the couples try to plan their weddings and strive to overcome the various trials tribulations that occur.
Almost entirely improvised.
This film provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Jen.
- Camp Gay: Gregory Hough, a self-confessed example.
- Dashing Hispanic: Jesus, the tennis coach.
- Hidden Depths: Towards the end of the film Josef drops his guard a little, and we see that he is very insecure about his declining career and inability to support Isabelle.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Sam has this before the actual wedding. In reality, Jessica Stevenson had appeared in a successful revival of the stage musical Blitz!
- It's All About Me: Sam's sister Jen, who decides to hijack the wedding by becoming the choreographer.
- Jerkass: Both Josef and Michael have their moments, as do Sam's mum and sister.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Josef is right in that a lot more effort seems to be put into Matt and Sam's wedding than the other two (despite the fact that the editors actually want him to win). Additionally Michael is right in being angry with Vivienne's attempts to make the naturist wedding clothed, but his attitude does him no favors.
- Male Frontal Nudity: Most of Michael's scenes, as well as numerous scenes in the naturist camp.
- Naked People Are Funny: Subverted for the most part, as naturism is treated as a very normal way of life, but the naked Heron & Hough wheeling on Michael and Joanna's bicycle at the end elicits a few laughs from the audience.
- Nice Guy: Heron & Hough, who even when faced with meddling in-laws and friends try to placate them by agreeing that they do have an important part to play in the wedding, but it is not their big day. When Matt storms out, they also put him up in their home.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Sam's Mum and sister Jen to Matt (and indeed most of the rest of the cast). Her estranged Dad is much friendlier.
- Precision F-Strike: Matt unleashes one when he finally has enough of his in-laws. Isabelle has one herself when the fact her relatives aren't coming is brought up.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Jen constantly reminds people she is a dancer, but her only real experience was as a teenage ballerina and as a performer on a cruise ship.
- Straight Gay: Archie Heron is the straight man to Gregory's Camp Gay.