Also known as Upworld in some markets, A Gnome Named Gnorm' was a 1990 fantasy comedy film released January 17, 1992, directed by Stan Winston and produced by Interscope Communications, Lightning Pictures and PolyGram Filmed Entertainment.
So in the movie, Gnorm is just an average gnome
Mm? Oh so it is, sorry. Okay, lets try this again:
Wanting to impress some girl gnome he likes by committing a gallant deed, Gnorm steals the gnomes stones in order to recharge them via exposure to sunlight. Meanwhile, man child Detective Casey Gallagher is assigned to work on a sting operation with his partner that night at a park and is goofing off while waiting for the suspect to show. Upon arriving to the Earths surface where said sting operation is, Gnorm witness the murder of Detective Gallaghers partner and the killer ends up with his stones. Detective Casey is blamed for the blotched sting and causing his partners death, so now he not only wants to clear his name but catch the killer, Detective Casey accidentally encounters Gnorm and both team up to get what they want along with Casey seeking the help of fellow detective, Samantha.
A Gnome named Gnorm stars Anthony Michael Hall, Jerry Orbach and Claudia Christian with Gnorm being played by (no joke) Mike Avery, Craig Caton, Greg Figiel, Eric Karlen, Eileen Kastner-Delago, Richard J. Landon, Frank Charles Lutkus III, Shane Mahan, Brandon Mason, Dave Nelson, Rob Paulsen, Jon Price, John Rosengrant, Will Ryan, Shannon Shea and Mike Trcic.
This movie provides examples of:
- Abandoned Playground: The sting operation takes place at the childrens playground at the old zoo.
- As Himself: AND INTRODUCING GNORM THE GNOME AS HIMSELF
- Being Watched: Casey gets this feeling when hes walking back to his car to go home after the botched sting operation. Hes right that Gnorm is literally behind him, trying to get his stones back from Gallagher but also from Zadar sitting in his car undetected who also follows Gallagher home, believing the rookie has his gems to which the perpetrator has.
- The Bet: Kaminsky bets twenty bucks Gallagher will blow the sting operation with Sam. Though when the operation goes wrong, Kaminsky states hes fifty bucks richer..
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: See oh crap below.
- Cassandra Truth: Casey telling Sam about Gnorm, to which she doesnt believe. At first though.
- Cool Shades: Zadar
- Doesn't Like Guns: Gallagher says he doesnt like guns when Sam gives him an extra one after he forgot his. He reluctantly takes it when Sam tells him that she and Detective Kaminsky are the only two backing Gallagher up for the stakeout later that night, instead of thirty cops as he first believed.
- Donut Mess with a Cop: Casey says thats what hes gonna do after the sting operation with the guys when talking to his boss Walton.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: If you pause the scene in which Gallagher gets knocked out on the carousel, youll see the perpetrator is Stan Walton.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Sam leaves after meeting Casey in the park when he tries to show her Gnrom, said gnome begins looking under Sams coat but Casey stops him.
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay: Gnorm pronounces his name (and that of his race) with a hard G. He meets a human detective who corrects him, claiming that the G is silent. Gnorm first replies "No it's g-not!" but later doesn't object to being called "Norm."
- Market-Based Title: Upworld
- Oh, Crap!: Feligs oh no . . . when he opens the briefcase thinking its full of money, finding out its a bomb.
- Our Gnomes Are Weirder: Gnorms immune to bullets.
- Protagonist Title: A Gnome Named Gnorm
- Saying Too Much: After Gnorms stone is stolen by Zadar who broke into Caseys house, Casey exclaims You think Im gonna die for it! when Gnorm demands the human to get it back to which the creature says My people die! and quickly covers his mouth when questioned your people?
- Stealth Insult: Stan Waltons reasoning for sending Gallagher to do the sting operation? Nobody will mistake him for a cop.
- Tap on the Head: Gallagher is knocked out while on the carousel with a blunt object.
- Possibly subverted when Gallagher pistol whips Gnorm three times in order to knock the gnome from strangling him when the latter attacks the former in Caseys garage.
- Tunnel King: Gnorm.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Joseph R. Sicaris character Ferni appears for no less than five minutes to hand delivers a bag of gems to Gallagher for the million dollars in the briefcase, only to be killed.
- Wolf Whistle: Gnorm does this whistle when on a stakeout for Reggie Small, Zadars right-hand man with Casey and sees some sexy babe in a tight mid-drift tank top with boobs through the fence.