Galinda Upland is used to being one of the most popular girls at her university, but now she finds that no one notices her. This silent treatment has been going on for several weeks. Galinda suspects this to be a prank done by her so-called "friends". Her new roommate, however, lets a completely different idea slip out: She's a ghost. After all, everyone at Shiz knows that Galinda is dead.
Not Completely, Altogether Here is a Wicked fanfic based around Galinda meeting Elphaba as a ghost. This story is a "booksical" fic that mixes both the book and musical canon. For example, Nessarose is wheelchair-bound yet Elphaba still has her water allergy. It can be read here.
There is also a sequel called The Eternity Effect.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Elphaba has a poor relationship with her father Frexspar. It's implied he was abusive towards her growing up. She's more than happy to stay at Shiz during the holidays in order to avoid him.
- Adaptational Jerkass: Frexspar is abusive towards Elphaba and only cares for his younger daughter Nessarose.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul:
- In the books, Frexspar is fairly close with Elphaba. Here, he barely tolerates her.
- Elphaba remembers her mother Melena fondly. In the books, Melena is shown to be apathetic towards Elphaba as a baby and has a difficult time feeling maternal towards her (though, Elphaba has good memories of her, showing that Melena likely changed at some point).
- Alternate Universe Fic: Elphaba joined Shiz a year later than she did in canon. Galinda died during that period.
- Bittersweet Ending: On one end Madame Morrible is defeated, but at the same time Elphaba and Glinda are both dead (albeit happily Together in Death).
- Canon Character All Along: Rora takes Tip's place as the next Ozma.
- Chekhov's Gun: Glinda learns a simple water vaporizing spell near the start of the story. Near the climax she uses it against Morrible to save Elphaba from a storm Morrible created.
- Composite Character: Nessarose has the conservative, religious personality of her book persona while being wheelchair bound (rather than armless) like her musical persona.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Glinda is in this form. She's as pretty as she was in life and still keeps most of her chipper attitude.
- Demoted to Extra:
- Nessarose only has a few scenes early on. She disappears from the narrative after Elphaba and Glinda leave Shiz. She's expanded on in The Eternity Effect.
- Fiyero doesn't pop up until very late into the story. Even after that he's killed off soon afterwards. He becomes more important in the sequel.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Fiyero dies in Glinda's arms after being speared through the heart.
- Dumb Blonde: Subverted with Glinda. Everyone thinks she's a shallow, dumb blonde, but she's actually quite studious when she puts her mind to things. She's closer to an Academic Alpha Bitch who hides behind this image until Elphaba helps her fulfil her true potential.
- For Want of a Nail: The "nail" is that Elphaba came to Shiz one year later than she did in canon. This resulted in Glinda never becoming her roommate and as a result Glinda ending up in the wrong place at the wrong time, resulting in her murder.
- Ghost Amnesia: Glinda can't remember how she died, what she was doing a few weeks before she died, or even her last summer vacation. She ultimately regains the memory of her death after touching the locker where she was murdered.
- Height Angst: Galinda is sensitive about her short height.
- Oh, My Gods!: The fic mixes the musical-verse and book-verse terms together. Characters use "Oz", "Lurline", and occasionally "the Unnamed God".
- Old Maid: In The Eternity Effect (which takes place roughly in the late 1800s), 26-year old Pfannee already considers herself too old to be unmarried. She says that she's lucky if a man even looked at her as a marriage prospect.
- Precision F-Strike: When Morrible creates a storm indoors to try and kill Elphaba, all Glinda can do is monologue "Oh. My. Fucking. OZ!" before telling Elphaba to run.
- I See Dead People: Elphaba can hear Galinda, however she can't see her until several chapters in.
- Slash Fic: The story starts platonic but it ultimately becomes Galinda/Elphaba fic. Elphaba ends up falling for the ghostly Galinda.
- Slumber Party: On the night Galinda died, she and the rest of her Girl Posse were having a sleepover. Galinda was dared to snatch Dr. Dillamond's coat from his locker. Unfortunately, Galinda was in the wrong area at the wrong time. She knew that Madame Morrible had murdered the professor, so Morrible killed Galinda to keep her quiet.
- Together in Death:
- Glinda tries to subvert this but Elphaba dies of her injuries. The two end up together and are taken by Dr. Dillamond into the afterlife to be with their families as well.
- Ozian believe that Galinda the Good and Fiyero the Brave had a heroic love so strong that death couldn't part them. Books have even been made about their supposed love. In reality, they're getting Fiyero mixed up with Elphaba (who they view as a Wicked Witch).