Knights of Gjallarhorn is an Iron-Blooded Orphans fanfic by G2BattleConvoy. The fic attempts to retell the show's story from primarily Gjallarhorn's point of view, while significantly expanding the cast of Gjallarhorn characters and adding its own little twists. The fic is currently in-progress; the latest is at Chapter 4.
Gjallarhorn. The defensive force of the Earth's government is still powerful even after 300 years of peace at the end of the Calamity War. They have brought down minor insurrections before, but what happens when the Maiden of Revolution joins with Tekkadan and a long-lost Gundam-Frame? Why, naturally, they must put this revolution down as soon as possible.
Knights of Gjallarhorn contains the following tropes:
- 0% Approval Rating: Pretty much nearly all of the Mars Branch's troops have a negative opinion on Coral.
- Adaptation Expansion: The fic is currently attempting to add more to the villains' perspectives.
- Anti-Villain: All of the inspection team members have sympathetic qualities: Michael has a fanboy-ish appreciation of Mobile Suits, Gaelio is naturally nervous about the situation with his sister, and McGillis stopped Coral cold when the man attempted to bribe him. To say nothing of their immediate disapproval of how Coral has been handling the situation generally.
- The Cameo: Quite a few characters from other Gundam shows appear as nothing more than named extras.
- Dirty Cop: Coral Conrad is a primary example, attempting to conduct unsanctioned operations and bribing McGillis Fareed.
- Hero Antagonist: Tekkadan play an antagonistic role this time around, with the reactivation of the ancient Gundam Frame seen battling the Mars Branch platoons, and fighting against Crank Zant, being a major point of concern for the inspection team.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Michael actually suggests during the Mars inspection that he could check for suspicious activity on the ground while McGillis and Gaelio keep Coral busy. It more or less works, as this is how the inspection team learn of a Gundam Frame somehow being active on Mars.
- Locked Out of the Loop: It's implied early on that most of Gjallarhorn's personnel don't know a lot about the Gundam-Frames that helped win the Calamity War over 300 years ago, to the point that they don't even know what one would look like. As such, they're completely taken by surprise when a supposedly old Mobile Suit trounces their cutting-edge Grazes in short order.
- Mook Horror Show: Mikazuki using Barbatos to counter the Mars Branch's siege on the CGS base at the beginning of the story is portrayed like this, as he gives the soldiers laying the siege no mercy.
- Original Character: Michael Tapferin, who accompanies McGillis Fareed and Gaelio Bauduin on their inspection assignment. Chapter 2 introduces Hera Mercury, Barto Dylandy and Gerard Erdest.
- Those Two Guys: Dylandy and Erdest are introduced discussing the damage that was done to Ein's Graze, before Hera tells them to get back to work.
- Villains Out Shopping: In Chapter 4, they encounter a few Martian citizens while on the way to Chryse, and naturally take the opportunity to question them about any Mars Branch activity they might have seen.
- Villain Protagonist: One of the prime selling points is that the fic is taking place with the members of Gjallarhorn in the spotlight as opposed to the main series' protagonists.
- Virtual Training Simulation: Chapter 2 starts off with a simulated hide-and-seek duel, in an asteroid field, no less, between Michael and Gaelio in their respective Ace Customs. The duel ends in a tie via both pilots stabbing each other in the cockpit before it's established that the whole thing was simulated in their cockpits.