What is Make Your Move? At its core, it's essentially an ongoing series of contests for creating hypothetical movesets for the ever-popular Nintendo franchise Super Smash Bros.. Not just the usual Nintendo and video game fare, mind you. Movesets are typically created for characters from all walks of media, from TV shows, anime, fan fiction, and even Real Life! Likewise, movesets are judged not by their likelihood of being implemented in future SSB games, but rather showcasing creative flair for designing well thought-out concepts.
Or at least, that's the idea. In actuality, within its small community in the Smashboards, MYM has been a huge source of internet drama, MYMemes, and general politcal mayhem that would make EVE Online blush. Thus, it's easily the grandest scale contest for making kinda-sorta movesets for Super Smash Bros except not really ever.
See also The Stadium, the general hub for all news relating to the current MYM and information on how to participate, and see The Bunker, the source for all things relating to MYM history, as well as special blogs written by more prominent members.
Examples specific to the movesets and story modes themselves:
- Adaptation Decay - Many an attempt has been made to remake the original Brawl movesets. They're rarely more popular than the originals.
- Adaptation Expansion - Characters with only one or two attacks in their original games can be fleshed out with full movesets.
- An Ice Person - A specific example is an original character named Kholdstare, inspired by a Legend of Zelda boss of the same name, and made by a member of the same name who happens to be fond of ice-based characters.
- Calling Your Attacks - Whether it be a shonen protagonist, a magical girl, or a wannabe Captain Falcon.
- Crime Magnet - When Von Karma is one of the combatants, a random NPC is murdered during his entrance animation. What makes this especially cruel is that the person playing as Von Karma gets many of his KOs by blaming the murder on one of the other players.
- Difficult, but Awesome - An element common to most popular sets.
- Doppelgänger Attack - Almost every moveset in Make Your Move X* .
- Duels Decide Everything - The apparent reason everyone's trying to kill each other.
- Fighting Clown - Some more literal than others; Pennywise and Ronald McDonald are excellent examples of this.
- Lethal Joke Character - What many a moveset aspires to be.
- Lightning Bruiser - What a lot of so-called Combo Heavyweights become.
- Loads and Loads of Characters - Well over a thousand so far, and counting.
- Macross Missile Massacre - What a lot of the projectile focused characters usually end up looking like.
- Purposely Overpowered - Playable boss movesets are designed for 3 v. 1 combat.
- Retraux - Several movesets, in particular those made by Junahu, use retro organization.
- Suicide Attack - In true Smash tradition, just slap "cide" on the end of the character's name and you're good to go!
- Tell Me How You Fight - What every moveset is trying to do.
- Trap Master - You CAN'T not expect to see one of these guys around in every competition.
- Victory by Endurance - It is the aim of some movesets to stall out their enemies like cowards.