Some time has passed since the end of the Friendship Games, and Twilight Sparkle is still adjusting, but it's nothing that Sunset can't help her with. However, something seems off when Twilight starts to have dreams. Dreams of a library with infinite books, and of a masked warrior who fought against monsters.
It is soon revealed that these were not dreams but premonitions, the power of the Earth has give birth to the creations known as Gaia Memories, and in order to stop those who would use their power to hurt others, Sunset and Twilight will have to work together to stop it. With knowledge in hand, Twilight will equip Sunset with the tools needed to fight this menace, Sunset Shimmer will become Kamen Rider Unicorn!
"Time to restore harmony!"
< UNICORN! >
Kamen Rider Unicorn is a crossover between Kamen Rider Double and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls written by Michael_Ravencroft. It was first published on July 22, 2017, and was completed on July 7, 2019.
The fic has four "movie" spinoffs, three by the original author and one by another:
- Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Unicorn & Decade: Shocker Resurgence - published December 4, 2017, to January 15, 2018. Takes place during the events of chapter 17 of the original story.
- Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Unicorn & Ex-Aid: Tirek's Revenge - published May 7, 2018, to July 21, 2018.
- Kamen Rider Unicorn The Movie: Memories of Friendship - published August 12, 2019, and concludes the main story.
- Kamen Rider Unicorn: Hyper Battle Special! - a spinoff by PoisonClaw, published December 11, 2017 to January 13, 2018.
Kamen Rider Unicorn provides examples of:
- Adaptational Sexuality: In chapter 6, it's revealed that Sunny Flare and Vice-Principal Luna are gay, while Dean Cadance is bi (having dated Luna in college and now being involved with Shining Armor). Rarity also admits that she's open to a relationship with another girl (namely, Sunny) if they're interested in her.
- Akashic Records: The Infinite Library, this series' version of the Gaia Library, which Twilight can access to
- Alternate Self: Per the norm in Equestria Girls.
- Chapter 1 introduces five new ones who never appeared in canon - Starlight Glimmer, Sugar Belle, Party Favor, Double Diamond and Night Glider.
- Chapter 2 introduces human versions of Twilight's parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, and mentions a human Moondancer, whom Twilight used to work with before Night got a promotion and had to move his family away from their old neighborhood.
- Chapter 4 introduces a human Garble.
- Chapters 7 and 8 introduce Sunset's own human self. Supposedly. It turns out to be Glitter Glam, a girl Sunset humiliated during her bully days, using her powers as the Gene Dopant to turn herself into a copy of Sunset and frame her.
- Chapters 9 and 10 feature a human version of Gladmane from the episode "Viva Las Pegasus".
- Battle Boomerang: The Fang Dopant utilizes one. Sunset later becomes able to use similar moves via using the Fang Memory in her Driver's left hip port.
- The Berserker: The Fang Dopant, which serves as the first Dopant of the series and is little more than a wild animal when transformed. Sunset also becomes one as the Unicorn Dopant, but Twilight is able to talk her down.
- Calling Your Attacks: Per the norm in a Kamen Rider series.
- Cool Bike: Sunset owns a motorcycle. It later assumes a new turquoise-armored form more suited to a Rider when she first rides it as Kamen Rider Unicorn, and from then on transforms into its new form when she does.
- De-Power: Dopants suffer this when their Gaia Memories are knocked out of them via a Maximum Drive. Those using lesser Gaia Memories suffer a permanent version, since their Memories shatter upon being ejected this way.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Both the human Twilight and the human Starlight Glimmer have been having these, culminating in the first appearance of the Gaia Memories.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gladmane/Money Dopant may be a sleaze who's running an illegal casino, but he doesn't deal in slaves or play strip poker with underage girls.
- Finishing Move: "Maximum Drives", per Double canon, which are activated via inserting a Memory into the right hip port.
- Spiral Breaker - Unicorn's "Rider Kick", a flying kick with a spiral drill-like cone around Sunset's foot.
- Fang Klingenschneider - Unicorn Fang Edge's "Rider Slash" with her Horn Fang, a long blade of power extending from her horn and brought down on the target.
- Fang Cross Slash - Unicorn Fang Edge's "Rider Slash" with her Arm Fangs, swinging forward with long blades of power extending from her arm blades.
- Spiral Schneider Break - Unicorn Fang Edge's "Rider Punch" with the Unicorn Memory, a spiral of energy around her fist before punching the target.
- Tornado Touchdown - Unicorn Mystic Cyclone's "Rider Kick", a diving kick where Sunset's legs are surrounded by a tornado.
- Jokers Wild - Unicorn Ace High's combination attack where she and four duplicates of herself each strike the target, with the final blow causing an explosion.
- Fired Teacher: Abacus Cinch is removed from her post as principal after enough complaints, including her own daughter Sunny Flare. She retaliates by disowning the girl.
- Five-Man Band: An evil version is responsible for the coming of the Gaia Memories. It consists of Starlight Glimmer, with the Equal Memory; Night Glider, with the Bird Memory; Sugar Belle, with the Heat Memory; Double Diamond, with the Iceage Memory; and Party Favor, with the Luna Memory.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Twilight, per canon. In this story, she builds Sunset's Uni-Driver and later Rainbow Dash's Nasca Driver, along with an arrow that unfolds into a robotic hawk.
- The Gambling Addict: Soft Pedal, Sugarcoat's father. It gets him in trouble when he ends up at a casino run by the Money Dopant.
- Gotta Catch Them All: The T2 Gaia Memories. Supposedly, only twenty-five entered the world (though it later turns out to be twenty-six), and Sunset soon determines that she needs to round up all of them. Starlight Glimmer, meanwhile, decides to allow this. The villains also create lesser Memories and start handing them out to other people. By the end of the series, all twenty-six are revealed, with all but one being the same as their canon counterparts from Kamen Rider Double Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate - Accel, Bird, Cyclone, Dummy, Equal (replacing "Eternal"), Fang, Gene, Heat, IceAge, Joker, Key, Luna, Metal, Nasca, Ocean, Puppeteer, Queen, Rocket, Skull, Trigger, Unicorn, Violence, Weather, Xtreme, Yesterday and Zone.
- Henshin Hero: As the summary states, Sunset becomes Kamen Rider Unicorn, though her first transformation is actually into the Unicorn Dopant (since she's acting on instinct and doesn't have her Driver yet). The human Rainbow Dash later becomes Kamen Rider Nasca.
- I Have No Son!: Abacus Cinch disowns her daughter for turning against her.
- Innocent Innuendo: In chapter 2, this is lampshaded when Sunset points out how one of Twilight's remarks could be taken:Twilight (speaking of her bike helmet): "Shining Armor wouldnt let me out of the house without some protection!"
Sunset (amused): "You realize how out of context that could be taken, right?"
Twilight: "What do mean, 'protection'? Whats wrong with ?" (realizes) "SUNSET THATS SO IMMATURE!"
- In-Series Nickname: Chapter 8 has Pinkie start calling the human Twilight "Sci-Twi".
- Lost Him in a Card Game: Subverted - it's not the person the Money Dopant claims when he wins against them, but their soul/lifeforce, which makes him more powerful. Soft Pedal does try to wager his own daughter Sugarcoat to the Money Dopant at one point, but the Money Dopant rejects the offer, saying he doesn't deal in slaves and prefers to just claim the original wagerer as intended and then manipulate Sugarcoat into wagering herself when she tries to win her father's soul back.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: Chapter 1 features an earthquake, followed by a giant pillar of emerald light bursting out of the ground and releasing the Gaia Memories, which will empower the Dopants and Kamen Riders, all over town.
- Master of Disguise: The Luna Memory grants this power to its user. For instance, they transform into a police officer to persuade another officer to let their associates past.
- Mind over Matter: This is the Unicorn Dopant and Kamen Rider Unicorn's special power.
- Monster of the Week: Or at least of the fortnight. The Dopants serve this role, as in the original Kamen Rider W series.
- Chapters 2-3: The Fang Dopant, an unknown man using the T2 Fang Memory.
- Chapter 4: The Beast Dopant, AKA "Red Dragon" Garble, who was formerly arrested for running an underground "fight club" and, as a Dopant, attacks police officers in revenge.
- Chapters 5-6: The Queen Dopant, AKA Sunny Flare, using the T2 Queen Memory and its Thrall ability to mentally dominate the Crystal Prep staff and students into being loyal to her, while also cocooning those who stand in her way.
- Chapters 7-8: The Gene Dopant, or Glitter Glam, a girl Sunset humiliated during her bully days, and now out to ruin her in revenge, using the powers of the T2 Gene Memory.
- Chapters 9-10: Money Dopant, AKA Gladmane, owner of ''Fortuna's House of Wealth".
- Nebulous Evil Organisation: PhoenEXE Corp., who are responsible for unleashing the Gaia Memories in the first place.
- No Ontological Inertia: When the Queen Dopant is defeated, her Thrall marks disappear and none of them have any memory of what they did under her control. Unfortunately, Cinch - who was just cocooned and not enThralled - does remember, and is furious at what was done to change the school away from her way of thinking in her absence; her subsequent efforts to undo this are rejected, leading to her ousting from her position.
- Parental Substitute: Dean Cadance becomes this for Sunny Flare, serving as her legal guardian after Cinch disowns the girl, since Sunny has no other immediate family.
- Past Experience Nightmare: After her experience as the Unicorn Dopant, Sunset has bad dreams about it, and especially the loss of control and what she might have done if she hadn't been able to regain her sense of self.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "Time to restore harmony!", declared by Sunset before or after activating a Maximum Drive.
- Related in the Adaptation: As revealed in chapter 6, Principal Cinch is Sunny Flare's mother.
- Robot Buddy: Twilight creates these, which turn from inanimate objects to animal forms.
- Chapter 2 introduces the Hawk, who unfolds from being an arrow; in arrow form, Hawk can be fired from a bow, and is first used to carry Sunset's Uni-Driver to her so she can use it for the first time.
- Chapter 8 introduces the Armadillo (or Dillo for short), which can roll up into a ball and bash into things.
- Sixth Ranger: Or rather, Second Rider, with Rainbow Dash becoming Kamen Rider Nasca.
- Sore Loser: Gladmane doesn't take well to losing to Sunset in a poker game, and resorts to transforming. It backfires when Sunset also transforms and beats him.
- Super Empowering: The T2 Queen Memory has the Thrall ability, which marks people with a Q. Those with it are empowered by the Queen Memory, granting them enhanced strength, agility, and in some cases, energy based abilities. However, the Thralls also help empower the Queen Dopant, with her becoming stronger the longer they're under her control.
- Swiss Army Hero: The left port on Sunset's Uni-Driver allows for "Mimetic Drives", inserting a second T2 Gaia Memory to activate a powered-up form. Her secondary forms include:
- Unicorn: Fang Edge - utilizes the Fang Memory, allowing her to summon curved blades on her arms and legs and extend her horn via the "Arm Fang", "Leg Fang" and "Horn Fang" commands, respectively.
- Unicorn: Mystic Cyclone - utilizes the Cyclone Memory, granting her wind-based powers.
- Unicorn: Ace High - utilizes the Joker Memory, and increases her perception speed. It also lets her use the Hat Trick ability, a combination Rider Chop and Punch where she performs a vertical chop followed by a horizontal one and finally a jab, damaging the target.
- Teleportation: Another of Sunset's powers as Kamen Rider Unicorn, first used in chapter 4 when she needs to get to the site of the Beast Dopant's rampage, which manifests as a tunnel of magical light that she rides through on her motorcycle.
- Transformation Trinket:
- Sunset's initial transformation into the Unicorn Dopant uses the T2 Unicorn Memory alone. Twilight soon builds her the Uni-Driver, which uses the Unicorn Memory as its main transformation trigger (and is designed so it can only use the Unicorn Memory in its main slot), but has two other slots - one for Maximum Drives and one for Mimetic Drives.
- Per Double canon, other people use the Memories (both the T2 versions and regular versions) to become Dopants.
- The Big Bad has a Driver of her own, as revealed in chapter 3. She later uses it to become Kamen Rider Equal.
- Later in the series, Rainbow Dash uses the N-Driver and Nasca Memory to become Kamen Rider Nasca.
- Your Soul is Mine!: This is the Money Dopant's ability. He runs a casino, and when he finds someone who can't pay their debts there, he locks their soul in a coin and absorbs the coin back into his body.