His best-known work is the play Oedipus the King.
Tragedies by Sophocles on the wiki:
- Oedipus trilogy
- The Progeny, a fragment — no more than a few lines have survived.
- The Women of Trachis
Tropes present in the works of Sophocles include:
- Downer Ending: Well, it's not called tragedy for nothing.
- Foregone Conclusion: Some plot points in many of his lost plays are known from other sources.
- Did They or Didn't They?: Odysseus Acanthoplex is based off the version of the myth where Odysseus and Circe did.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Atreus' revenge on the title character in Thyestes
- I'm a Humanitarian: Tereus, Thyestes
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: There's a play called Creusa, and the only Creusa known in Classical Mythology is from Euripides' Ion.
- Offing the Offspring: Tereus
- She Who Fights Monsters: Procne in Tereus.
- Greek Chorus: Aristotle in Poetics cited him as how choruses should work.
- Missing Episode: More than a hundred.
- Rummage Sale Reject: According to Aristophanes's comedy The Birds, the hoopoe costume in the lost play Tereus was ridiculous.