Paul Edward Lynde (June 13, 1926 January 10, 1982) was an American comedian and actor, best known for occupying the center square on The Hollywood Squares. He also appeared on numerous TV sitcoms (most notably in the recurring role of Samantha's mischievous Uncle Arthur on Bewitched), did some animation voice work, and was a recurring guest on the Donny and Marie variety show.
With a Camp Gay persona (despite never publicly coming out during his lifetime, he pretty much occupied a Transparent Closet), Lynde was both a Large Ham and something of a master at Getting Crap Past the Radar.
Lynde's distinctive vocal affect (nasal, halting, and sing-songy) lended itself very well to a side career in voice acting, and has often been imitated in many productions after his death, including Seth MacFarlane's portrayal of Roger the Alien on American Dad! and John Stephenson's portrayal of Wilford Wolf on The Kwicky Koala Show.
Works with articles on this wiki
- Beach Blanket Bingo (as Bullets)
- Bewitched (recurring, as Uncle Arthur)
- Bye Bye Birdie (as Harry MacAfee; he originated the role on Broadway and also appeared in the film adaptation)
- The Cattanooga Cats (as the voice of Mildew Wolf in the segment It's the Wolf; he was uncredited)
- Charlotte's Web (as the voice of the rat Templeton)
- The Dating Game (as himself)
- Donny and Marie (as himself)
- The Hollywood Squares (as himself, most often occupying the center square)
- The Munsters (recurring, as nearsighted physician Dr. Dudley; except for a Season 2 episode in which the character was portrayed by Dom DeLuise)
- The Paul Lynde Halloween Special (as, unsurprisingly, himself)
- The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (as the voice of Sylvester Sneekly a.k.a. The Hooded Claw; he was uncredited)
- The Villain (as Nervous Elk)
- Where's Huddles? (as the voice of neighbor Claude Pertwee)