Ian McDonald (born 1960) is a science fiction and fantasy writer, living in Belfast.
Not to be confused with the author of Bruno the Bandit.
Works by Ian McDonald:
- Desolation Road (1988)
- Empire Dreams (1988) (short stories)
- Out On Blue Six (1989)
- King Of Morning Queen Of Day (1991)
- Hearts Hands And Voices (1992, US: The Broken Land)
- Speaking In Tongues (1992) (short stories)
- Kling Klang Klatch (1992) (graphic novel, illustrated by David Lyttleton)
- Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone (1994)
- Necroville(1994, US: Terminal Cafe)
- Chaga (1995, US: Evolutions Shore)
- Sacrifice Of Fools (1996)
- Kirinya (1998)
- Tendeleos Story (2000)
- Ares Express (2001): Set in the same universe as Desolation Road.
- River Of Gods (2004)
- The Djinns Wife (2006)
- Brasyl (2007)
- Cyberabad Days (2009): Set in the same universe as River of Gods.
- The Dervish House (2010)
- Planesrunner (2012)
- Luna New Moon (2015)
- Luna Wolf Moon (2017)
Tropes found in his work:
- Afrofuturism: Chaga (known as Evolutions Shore in the US) centers around the Watekni subculture in a 20 Minutes into the Future version of Kenya.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Hearts Hands And Voices (known as The Broken Land in the US) is very obviously based on the Anglo-Irish conflicts of the 20th century.
- One-Word Title: