Audrey Justine Tautou (born August 9, 1976 in Beaumont, France) is a French actress.
Her eponymous Manic Pixie Dream Girl role in an idyllic version of Paris from Amélie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain) instantly made her a star. She has appeared mostly in French cinema, but is fluent in English and has dabbled in English-language films as well, such as in the film adaptation of The Da Vinci Code.
Her filmography includes:
- The Libertine (2000)
- Amélie (2001)
- He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (2002)
- The Spanish Apartment (2002)
- Russian Dolls (2005)
- Chinese Puzzle (2013)
- Dirty Pretty Things (2002)
- A Very Long Engagement (2004)
- The Da Vinci Code (2006)
- Priceless (2006)
- Therese (2012)
- Mood Indigo (2013)
- The Jesus Rolls (2019)
Tropes & Trivia abour her works:
- Billing Displacement: Happens to her a lot, due to being among the most well known current French actresses. She's front and center on the American posters for The Spanish Apartment, even though her on-screen time in the whole movie probably wouldn't total 10 minutes.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Most notably in Amélie but also in some of her other movies.
- One-Woman Song: "Tautou" by Brand New. The lyrics consist of "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea/I'm burning like a bridge for your body".
- Playing with Character Type: He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not completely and utterly eviscerated the persona she'd become known for after Amélie.