Adrian "Ade" Edmondson, also known by the stage name "Eddie Monsoon", was born on 24 January 1957 in Bradford, England. One of the brightest stars of the Alternative Comedy circuit in The '80s, Edmondson has accumulated a surprisingly large number of credits as a writer, actor, director, comedian and television presenter. He also took a break from acting between 2008 and 2016 to spend time "farming" and performing as the lead singer and mandolin player of folk punk group The Bad Shepherds.
Edmondson was, for a significant portion of his career, part of various acts with his best friend Rik Mayall.
Edmondson has been married to fellow Alt-comedy star Jennifer Saunders since 1985, and the couple have three children.
- The Dangerous Brothers
- The Comic Strip Presents
- The Young Ones
- Filthy Rich & Catflap
- Blackadder: "Private Plane"
- Guest House Paradiso
- Jonathan Creek
- French and Saunders
- The Last Jedi
Tropes associated with his career:
- Large Ham: He's known for playing loud, violent characters most codified in his role as Vyvyan.
- Playing Against Type: Edmondson, who has spent most of his career playing vile, unsympathetic slapstick victims, appeared in The Last Jedi as General Hux's very strait-laced adjutant.
- He also plays against type in an episode of the documentary series Surviving Disaster about the Chernobyl accident, where he plays Valery Legasov.
- In Sara Pascoes comedy Out Of Her Mind he played a fictional version of Saras dad, as a superficially shallow and annoying pseudo-intellectual Beat-poet type, who was actually rather quiet, regretful and enigmatic.