An independent, strong-minded, passionate and dedicated young teacher from the city. Elizabeth finds herself in Coal Valley, a small community on the Canadian frontier in need of a teacher. She quickly discovers that Coal Valley is not an easy place to live, and lacks the creature comforts and luxuries of her privileged life with her family.
- Blue Oni,Red Oni The Red Oni to Jack's Blue Oni
- Brainy Brunette: In the television series.
- The Heart: She has an optimistic outlook and brings joy to the mourning town. Her students even made her a letter that said that she brought sunshine to their lives.
- Hot Teacher: She is very pretty and a teacher.
- Lethal Chef: DO NOT try her food. You have been warned.
- Spirited Young Lady: Elizabeth is independent, vivacious, outspoken, kind and has high morals.
- Spoiled Sweet: Elizabeth grew up wealthy but is very kind and willing to share and lend her luxurious clothing and college books.
- Uptown Girl: To Jack.
A laidback country boy. As a Mountie, and a man of stout character and integrity, he often finds himself protecting and saving people.
- Blue Oni,Red Oni: The Blue Oni to Elizabeth's Red Oni
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Male version. It takes him some time to open up to Elizabeth, due to blaming her for his dead-end post at Coal Valley, but when he does he proves himself to be a Nice Guy.
- Fair Cop: He strongly believes in justice and always seeks the truth while defending the innocent.
- Nice Guy: Has noble intentions, is well-mannered and has a strong moral code.
- No Social Skills: Visibly has difficulty in paying compliments or asking Elizabeth out, though he gradually gets better.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Poor suitor to Elizabeth.
A Coal Valley woman who tragically lost her husband and son in the mining accident. Abigail is a very kind woman, but she stands strongly for the things she believes in. She is one of the first women to welcome Elizabeth.
- Determined Widow: She never gives up despite her loses.
- Put on a Bus: Suddenly leaves the show to care for her sick mother, as revealed in a letter.
The prosecuting attorney in the mine explosion case.
A mysterious, quiet man. He first appears in order to help Jack expose Mr. Gowen's wrongdoings. Bill is immediately attracted to widow Abigail Stanton.
A kind, encouraging woman in Coal Valley. She is a widow and mother of three: Gabe, Miles, and Emily.
A cold, cynical man who formerly owned the coal mine. After Lee shut the mine down, Henry became the mayor of Hope Valley and still creates a cold, cynical presence whenever people are around him. Henry is highly disliked and feared in the town.
Rosemary "Rosie" Le Veaux
A flamboyant, enthusiastic actress from New York. She was brifly engaged to Jack Thornton, but they both realized that it wouldn't work out. Rosie immediately disliked Elizabeth and viewed her as "the competition".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts this way when she is initially introduced, as she sees Elizabeth as her competition for Jack's heart. This mellows out as she eventually finds a new love interest.
- City Mouse
- Hidden Depths: For a City Mouse, she has numerous useful skills for living on the frontier, including sewing and cooking.
- Large Ham: Just mention anything about acting or theater.
- Supreme Chef
Leland "Lee" Coulter
A kind, laidback, patient man who opens a sawmill in Hope Valley.
Elizabeth's hopeless romantic younger sister who often gets herself into sticky situations by falling head over heels for men who aren't quite what they seem.
- Fiery Red Head
- Marry for Love: What Julie's whole view on love is.
- Rebellious Spirit: More visible after being involved with Tom.
- Spirited Young Lady
- Uptown Girl: To Tom.
A feisty gossip in Hope Valley who often has a pessimistic perspective and always seems to find the negative, even in a very positive situation.
The wife of Abigail's late son Peter. She's a sweet, quiet, and sensitive young woman.
Charles Kensington III
An old friend of Elizabeth with whom she reconnects while in Hamilton. He is interested in her, though her feelings for Jack get in the way of their relationship.