Det. Emmett Carver
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: The other detectives, particularly Ellie are woefully outclassed. Carver has more homicide experience than anyone on the force. What's more, he knows it; he's not afraid to throw his weight around with the Sheriff, knowing he can do far better than Gracepoint P.D.
- Death Glare: He shoots a particularly potent one at resident fuck-up Owen after he leaks Danny's name.
- Defective Detective: Carver is a highly competent detective (and holds others to such standards) but he's clearly troubled and emotionally closed-off.
- Fish out of Water: He's from the big city, and dislikes having to 'soften' his approach in an appeal to small-town sentimentality.
- Good Is Not Nice: Although a good man, he's not easy to get along with and is ill-suited to a small town where everybody seems to prefer being 'nice' to being competent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Carver is dismissive, irritable and doesn't think much of his co-workers. However, he's a good man who wants to solve Danny's murder and feels great sympathy for the family.
- Perma-Stubble: He sports this look.
- The Spock: To Ellie's McCoy. He is colder and more rational than Ellie which has a tendency to alienate the people of Gracepoint.
- This is exhibited in his great dislike of using first names which is contrastive to Ellie's insistence on using first names.
Det. Ellie Miller
- Happily Married: To her husband, Joe. They have a loving and supportive marriage.
- The McCoy: To Carver's Spock. She is more emotionally invested in the investigation due to being a personal friend with the Solano family. This leads to her judgement being often compromised.
- This is exhibited by her preference of first names over last names in comparison to Carver who prefers the opposite.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Jack has a slight air of this. During his police interview, he tends to go off on tangents and talk about the environment.
- Driven to Suicide: After everyone begins to believe he's a pedophile he appears commits suicide by drowning
Joseph "Joe" Miller
- Affably Evil: He's pretty friendly for a would-be pedophile.
- Big Bad:The closest thing to one in the show, as it's largely his fault Danny Solano is dead and he's the main one covering it up.
- Happily Married: To his wife, Ellie. They have a loving and supportive marriage.
- Papa Wolf: Is very protective of his son. He even takes all the blame for Danny's death when Tom accidentally kills him (albeit Tom was trying to protect Danny from his father.
Father Paul Coates
- Intrepid Reporter: He'd like to think he's this, but at best he's a well-meaning incompetent who doesn't think before he acts.
- Intrepid Reporter: She actually is one unlike Owen.
Accidental Murder: While trying to protect Danny from his father he accidentally hits Danny in the head with a wooden paddle.