The Half-World (previously on Tumblr, now hosted on Squarespace) is a blog originally dedicated to Fan Fic MSTs run by Skepkitty. It used to comprise of awful fanfictions from fandoms such as Invader Zim, Twilight, Harry Potter, and Portal; as well as various other posts (some of which were MSTs in their own right, though not of FanFics). The site, which was started in September 2010 but didn't post any MSTs or attract much attention until early 2011, saw rapid growth in the first two years and, before a purge that happened in 2014, had over 250 chapters of MSTs. Currently, the blog is more focused on reviewing published literature, as Skepkitty has grown and picking on authors that are younger than xem has become an issue. In addition, due to Old Shame issues (both on Skepkitty's and the MSTed authors' part) and the fact that maintaining two Tumblr blogs is easier than maintaining a Tumblr blog and a WordPress blog, The Half-World has moved to Tumblr, where only select past reviews will appear.
Xe has taken on these stories: (Sorted in order of appearance)
- Published book reviews:
- Fanfic reviews:
- Fanfic MSTs:
- Some of the more famous fanfic MSTs that are not available on Tumblr:
This website provides examples of:
- In-Joke: "Still a better love story/fanfic than Love Knows No Race."
- As well as that, Love Knows No Race gained reputation as "The Fic That Shall Not Be Named".
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: (From Love Knows No Race)No. NO. DID THE AUTHOR JUST FUCKING IMPLY THAT DIB AND ZIM ARE SIBLINGS AND ALSO THE CHILDREN OF THE ALMIGHTY TALLEST. IN A FIC WHERE ZIM AND DIB ARE FUCKING. NO.
- Orwellian Retcon: As revealed on his Tumblr, Skepkitty frequently changes or removes lines from his MSTs as xe sees fit, without warning anyone.Virtually none of what was on the old Half-World was in its original form anyway.
- Sarcasm Mode: From the Love Knows No Race MST:OKAY! Im gonna explain a few things I know its going really fast, but thats only because the rest of the story is going to go really slow.Awesome! Im sure thats what everyone wanted to hear, and itll definitely also fix the pacing problem in the first few chapters!
- Surprise Incest: Shows up everywhere in Love Knows No Race.UpsidePickle: All in all, incest, incest COMBO x2!!, incest TO THE SECOND POWER.
- Transgender Fetishization - "I like it." does it to Steve Rogers. Naturally, Skepkitty, who is transgender xemself, was not amused.
- Ur-Example: Love Knows No Race was actually written in 2002, inciting Skepkitty to point something out...I was going to suggest that Marissa (of Its My Life! fame) try to get a part in this, but then I realized that this story was written in 2002. Since its such an old Zimfic, maybe, instead of just borrowing every Zimfic cliché in the book, the author helped invent those clichés, which makes it worse in a way.