So, a young lad named Logan. One of his friends (named Matt) is going to Iraq in February 2009; so, as a parting gift, he gives him a black, moleskin notebook. However, Matt is caught in an ambush in early July; he survived, and had post-traumatic stress disorder. He came back to America and spent the remainder of his days in a mental hospital; he died on July 30th, 2009. Then, on August 5th, Logan receives Matt's notebook.
And there was some freaky shit in there.
A part of The Slender Man Mythos, and almost certainly the Trope Maker for the numerous blogs based on the character. Beginning just over a month after Marble Hornets began, it is one of the most popular Slender Man blogs. The blog was originally here but has now been deleted by the owner. It has been archived and can be read here.
Please note, that the below examples will contain unmarked spoilers. It is advised for you to read through the blog first, then read these examples. Be warned!
This series provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: DavFlamerock and TetsuyaBH were commentators; they ended up receiving notebooks from Logan and made Youtube videos analyzing them. DavFlamerock is also a moderator at Unfiction forums.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In the first page of the notebook, Slendy's hat is cleanly visible, despite the fact that he otherwise looks more like a spider than a human.
- The Bad Guy Wins
- The Blank: As always, the Slender Man himself.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Implied by the note in "Searching."
- Chekhov's Gun: Logan's watch.
- Crazy Survivalist: Matt, at first. Logan takes up the mantle after the blog post "Untitled." It's implied that Slender Man tries to kill Logan, who runs. Later, he posts a blog with just a title: "LEAVE IT JOSH." He continues to haunt the blog and try to shake Josh off the case.
- Decoy Protagonist: Logan; after a while, he goes missing and Josh takes over the blog.
- Don't Go in the Woods: From the second page on, trees become a recurring element. One of the "categories" is entitled RESULTS OF THE TREES.
- Downer Ending: The final post strongly implies that Slender Man has succeeded in killing Josh.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: As mentioned below, it is the Trope Codifier for Slenderblogs. But it also has some elements that was not carried over into the greater mythos.
- Some of the sketches depict Slendy with a hat (admittedly a nice one) - Something that was not seen anywhere else.
- While Slendy is certainly capable of it, wiping out a Marine squad in a violent and bloody confrontation is not his style. Granted Unreliable Narrator is at play here but nevertheless.
- Eye Scream: Apparently, Slendy did this to Logan in their first confrontation.
- Foreshadowing: When Josh is on his motorcycle, he almost crashes into a certain "business man"... guess how the story is heavily implied to end.
- Four Is Death: It is implied that Logan is attacked by the Slender Man at 11:11. Four ones, which make one four.
- From Bad to Worse: Much, MUCH worse.
- Hidden Eyes: Logan's hiding his right eye with his hand in "Laughter", "ALMOST TIME" and is supposed to be in "Game Over." According to Word of God, "Game Over" was a botched Photoshop job, and Logan is supposed to have lost an eye running from Slendy.
- Hidden in Plain Sight:
- Slendy is in the final picture with Logan; look closely at the trees in the background. According to Word of God, Logan died minutes after posting the picture online.
- In the second diary entry, it shows a soldier stick figure in front of a seemingly innocuous tree. When you examine it closely and keep in mind the fact that these stick figures were drawn through the last page, you'll see three dead figures in the tree.
- Kubrick Stare: Logan in "Laughter."
- Laughing Mad: Logan is implied to have become this; see the blog post "Laughter."
- Look Behind You: The tie-in videos made by Dav involve this with "DONT TURN AROUND" written in the notebook (one page per word). Dav helpfully pans the camera up to show that there's nothing behind him.note
- No Ending: The blog ends abruptly with Josh going to ID Logan's body, saying it won't take more than an hour or two; given an earlier incident involving a near-accident on a motorcycle and a certain "asshole businessman," the implication is that he died in a Slendy-caused crash.
- Noodle People: Slendy on the first page of the notebook.
- Non-Indicative First Episode: The first blog post is oddly light-hearted compared to the rest of the blog.
- Sanity Slippage: Logan starts slipping in "Untitled."
- Shout-Out: Logan lives on Ash Tree Lane.
- Dav Flamerock attends Miskatonic University.
- Slasher Smile: Rather creepy one in the blog post "ALMOST TIME?"
- Trope Maker: This blog has spawned dozens of imitators and wannabes; for a full list, check the list in the link to the Unfiction forums.
- When Trees Attack: Trees are a recurring element in this blog, with both Yggdrasil and many pictures of trees appearing throughout.
- The World Tree: Yggdrasil is implied to have significance; nothing much comes of it, however.