Beast Saga is the Spiritual Successor to Battle Beasts/Beastformers of Transformers Headmasters, created by Takara Tomy.
Beast Saga takes place on a distant planet in our galaxy called Beast where three beast tribes — the Sea Tribe, the Land Tribe, and the Sky Tribe — fight for their honor. Each of the tribes protect an infinite elemental power source called "Godlot." Each Godlot is split into 3 parts, Head, Body, and Bottom, and are located in different areas of each kingdom.
The series mainly focuses on the Land Tribe, the Kingdom of Gloria, and it's King, a lion by the name of Liogre, as they fight against their enemies, specifically the Deathheart Gang from the Water Tribe.
The first anime ran on TV Tokyo from January 13, 2013 to September 29, 2013, It consists of 38 episodes, each about 12 minutes long. The December 2013 issue of Shueisha's Saikyo Jump magazine announced that production on a second series has been green-lit, but will be Direct-to-Video only. The announcement reveals that the setting of the anime will change to the “sky,” and that the “development” will unfold at DVD rental stores.
The manga runs in Shueisha's Saiyoko Jump, starting from August 3, 2012 and is currently ongoing.
Other than the anime and manga, the series also has hobby toys, a dice battle game, and a 3DS game which came out on July 25, 2013 in Japan.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Little Bear, considering when he was challanged to battle, he ends up more concerned with introductions, and ends up ignoring the intro of his enemies to comment on something unrelated. However, he gets dead serious when a restraunt he just found a coupon to gets destroyed.
- Downer Ending: Season 1, episode 20 (halfway through the season)has the capital of Gloria, Progress, ransacked and in ruins, Cheetahbaton revealed to be a traitor (who was bored of his royal life and betrayed Liogre for fun) who revealed the hidden entrance to Progress to the Deathheart Gang, most of the Land Tribes forces and civilians seriously injured, and the Head Part of the Fire Godlot has been stolen.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Bilsword is disgusted at the fact that his fellow officers would deliberately kill subordinates who have families to return without hesitation.
- Good Animals, Evil Animals, being the Spiritual Successor to Battle Beasts/Beastformers, Beast Saga features the good Land Tribe and the evil Sea Tribe. The Land Tribe primarily consists of noble big cats and savanna-dwelling herbivores (there's an elephant, a zebra, etc), while the Sea Tribe is mostly sharks, other threatening fish like a piranha and a manta ray, and a few reptiles and mammals associated with water.
- There are some notable subversions in both tribes, like the good snake and the evil dolphin.
- The neutral Sky Tribe seems to exist for comedy reasons; its members are mostly cute or non-threatening birds like ducks, parrots, and pigeons
- Hufflepuff House: The Sky Tribe for reasons mention above, since the first season's plot is focused on the battle between the Land and Sea Tribes.
- Season Two seems to focus on them.
- My Greatest Failure: Even though he carries around a sword, Liogre swears never to use one again after accidentally injuring a little deer girl.
- Spiritual Successor: To Battle Beasts/Beastformers from Transformers Headmasters.
- Too Much For Beast To Handle: The Godlot parts will kill anyone not strong enough to handle it's power if they touch it. As proven when a Sea Tribe foot solider touches a part of the Fire Godlot and gets fried. It takes a specially made potion just to be able to carry it.