Say Hi to Pencil! ("Xin Chào Bút Chì!") is a Vietnamese animated cartoon based on a short film of the same name. The TV show airs on HTV7 and is about the life of a sentient pencil and his friends, who happen to live in a world that's populated by sentient pencils and pens.
The show is hosted by a pair of human girls (who are also claymation), Ping and Pa, who talk about the situations they've run into in their life that usually foreshadow the premise of the episode. After the episode ends, the pair tells how the story can be compared to the behavior of an animal of sorts.
This work provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Every episode has an Aesop in it.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Sentient pencils and pens, specifically.
- Art Shift: The art shifts from claymation to 2D imagery when Ping and/or Pa tells a short story about how a randomly-chosen animal's behavior can be compared to the lesson of the day.
- Big Ball of Violence: In "Radish Picking", Red accidentally gets dirt all over Blue when he tries to dig the giant radish out of the ground. Blue throws some of this dirt back at him, prompting the two to attack each other. The outburst of violence produces a cloud of smoke that obscures the characters from sight.
- Big Budget Beef-Up: The TV show has a significantly more noticeable budget than the short film that spawned it.
- Birthday Episode: One episode has Yellow help Red bake a cake for Pink's birthday. The episode is cleverly titled "Pink's Birthday" and everything.
- Blind Without 'Em:
- Pa needs to wear glasses to see clearly.
- Blue ends up as this in the episode "Blue Cannot See Clearly".
- Book-Ends: The Ping and Pa segments appear at both the beginning and the end of any episodes they appear in.
- Burning with Anger: In "Angry Red", Red bursts into purple flames during his anger scene. If you're wondering why they're purple flames, a god of destruction had given him the power of anger earlier on in the episode.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Pink's Birthday".
- Excited Show Title!
- Never Trust a Title: The episode "Sueing Mr. God" does not have Pencil actually suing God or otherwise getting angry at him for not stopping it from raining so that his plant can grow.
- X-Ray Sparks: In "Sueing Mr. God", Blue is struck by lightning as the Pen family is climbing a ladder to the sky. His skeketon becomes visible for a split second when this happens.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue has hair that's, well, blue.