All unlockables are not spoiler-tagged.
- "What Mr. Sakurai suggested then was a specific idea to make Smash Brothers for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."Satoru Iwata, E3 2011 announcement
Let's face it, there's a reason this series is so popular: Super Smash Bros.'s nature as a Massive Multiplayer Crossover featuring many different Nintendo characters is just about every fan's wet dream. Then, sometimes, the hype goes through the roof even more.
- Any new character that was confirmed to be playable, especially Snake and especially, especially, Sonic. R.O.B. and Toon Link were the only exceptions, as they were Replacement Scrappies to many fans' dream additions. They didn't stay hated for long, though.
- "Cool, new Smash Brothers game. Wait, what's this, a new Metal Gear? What, they're discussing the game? An invitation? YEAH!"
- And a few months later, after enduring years of waiting and April Fools Jokes about his appearance in Melee, Sonic the Hedgehog joins the fray complete with Crush 40's "Live and Learn" blaring in the background, allowing players to pit Sega's iconic mascot against his longtime rival. There's a reason why that screenshot from Brawl is on the main video game page.
- A more subdued moment happened when it was revealed that the character-specific battle introductions from the original Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros. came back for Brawl.
- Brawl's Stage Builder.
- Shortly before the game's release, the full soundtrack was leaked. The internet practically squealed like 5 year old girls upon learning about (and hearing) the remixes of King Dedede's theme, King K. Rool's theme, Pokémon Red and Blue's Route 1 song, and the final boss theme from Golden Sun, among other songs that can be seen in the Awesome Music page.