hhgregg is a electronics and appliances retailer from the United States. They have a series of commercials featuring their mascot, hh, a sentient rolled-up hhgregg advertisement. The commercials primarily feature him, but he does interact with other hhgregg employees in certain commercials, voiced by Wally Wingert. hh was featured in commercials between 2009 and 2011. When hhgregg became an online business in 2017, they brought back hh as the company's mascot and featured him in social media posts.
A mostly complete collection of commercials featuring hh can be found here.
Tropes exhibited by hh and the commercials featuring him:
- Abandoned Mascot: hhgregg didn't use hh during the last few years of the company's original lifespan, but they brought him back after they became an online retailer.
- all lowercase letters: hh's name is rendered in lowercase letters, to fit the name of the retailer which is usually stylized with lowercase letters as well.
- ...And 99¢: Everything hh lists off in the "Christmas in July" commercial is just one dollar below an even number.
- And the Rest: In the "Red Tag Sale" commercial, hh acknowledges Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Whirlpool, LG, and everybody else.
- Animate Inanimate Object: hh is a sentient version of an hhgregg paper ad.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: hh addresses the viewer in a New Year's commercial to talk about family discounts.
- Character Narrator: In some commercials, hh himself narrates the commercials on top of other footage/graphics related to the store.
- Christmas in July: The well-known "Christmas in July" commercial features hh singing the store's latest deals to the tune of "Deck the Halls" while mentioning that it's Christmas in July. Based on the end of the commercial, nobody else is celebrating with him.
- Christmas Songs: hh sings "Deck the Halls" in multiple commercials. He sings "The 12 Days of Christmas" in another commercial.
- Dreaming of a White Christmas: Despite it being July, it's just cold enough for somebody to throw a snowball at hh at the end of the "Christmas in July" commercial. hh lampshades this:"A snowball in July?"
- Floating Limbs: hh's hands and feet are not attached to his body in any way.
- Formerly Fit: In one commercial, hh appears overweight after ordering too many televisions. He spends the rest of the commercial losing weight.
- Inflating Body Gag: One ad has hh blowing up some balloons for a blowout sale via a helium tank. hh ends up sucking in the helium from one balloon, causing him to inflate and float around in the air.
- Interactive Narrator: A New Year's commercial features a narrator talking about the employee family discount. At the end of the commercial, hh says "Plus...", implying that he was following up what the narrator said.
- List Song: The Christmas commercials mostly serve to list various products that are on sale to the tune of a Christmas song.
- Mascot: hh is the mascot of hhgregg.
- Musicalis Interruptus: At the end of the Christmas commercials, hh gets hit with a snowball before he finishes singing the company's name.
- Repetitive Name: "hh" is just the letter "h" repeated twice.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: The commercials feature hh interacting with live-action hhgregg employees.
- Singer Namedrop: Throughout the Christmas commercials, he repeats the letter "H" and says the name of the store.
- Trash of the Titans: At the end of the New Year's commercial, the camera pans back to reveal that the entire store is covered in trash. hh is given a broom to clean it up.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Nobody seems to find a talking roll of paper to be out of the norm.